Roon Extremely Unstable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro, MacOS Mojave, Roon 1.6 ‘Stable’ Build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

BT Home SmartHub

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A to problem

Description Of Issue

I have said the audio device is not applicable to the problem as there doesn’t have to be any device connected for Roon to crash, just this morning it has crashed four times just sitting there doing nothing. It is almost unusable this last while to the extent where I am so frustrated I feel like asking for my money back. I use iTunes as well and I am trialing Audirvana and neither of these apps have any issues at all and are using the same files that Roon uses. How can this app be so fragile? And if it is how I encode the files I rip for use then is there some way to tell if they are not suitable somehow. I repeat this is extremely frustrating to the extent where I don’t want to use the app and it’s too expensive for that!

@support An unhappy customer here.

Yep, very unhappy just now…

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

Sorry to hear about the frustrations, I’d be happy to help you with this issue. Starting off, can I please ask you to let me know where your media files are stored on? Are they on the Core’s HDD, a NAS or an external drive?

Also, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Hey Noris

Thank you for the response. The files are stored on an external drive, not SSD. I’m about to open the Roon app now so hopefully the logs will be generated now. If you need to do anything else for this please let me know.

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

I can confirm that the diagnostics report has been received and analyzed. I believe your Core is crashing due to this file: /Volumes/MusicArchive/Music/D/Dave Matthews Band/Before These Crowded Streets/04 Don't Drink the Water.m4a. Can I please ask you to move this file out of your watched storage location, reboot your Core and then send me this file via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

Hey Noris

Thank you for this, I have done as you said and I have taken the whole album out of the watched location. I had a look at it before I did that though and it seems that there are two files for each track in that album and Roon was showing one of these files as corrupt…what I mean is that each track was listed twice and Roon showed one of each track as corrupt, when I looked into the folder there are indeed two files for each track. Of course, now that I have taken the folder out of Roon I don’t actually know which file is corrupt now. I’m at a lose to explain why there should be two files for each track but I can rip the CD again now that I know what the problem is. I can send you all the files for analysis but I don’t have access to any of the services you suggested, only iCloud. Is there another way I can send these to you?

Thank you again for your help with this.

1 Like

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

You can send both over, and I can ask QA to take a look at them. Send.firefox.com is a service that does not require an account to upload files to, you just drag-and-drop both files, set the expiration time and then send the shared link to me. Thanks!

Hey Noris

Thank you for this, Roon has been stable since is took the folder offline so it would seem that that was the problem. The files are uploaded now and the link to them is is as follows…

If you need anything else from me please contact me soonest. I know I was frustrated and irate when I posted this this morning but I have to say, your service and support is excellent and first rate. Thanks again for all your help.

Hi @Harry_Mulligan,

Thanks for sending those two files over I can confirm that I received them and I have asked QA to review them, as obviously we would like to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

Either way, glad to hear your issues are sorted after removing those files from your watched directory and thanks again for reaching out to us, hope you have a great rest of your day!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.