Roon features we lose with Dirac Live (software)

Yes, this is a YADI - Yet Another Dirac Integration post.

This time from a “sharing the pain points” angle :sweat_smile:

Roon things we can’t do when using Dirac Live:

1. Identify our RoonReady connected device through the Dirac virtual sound card
  2. Use Device Volume control with our RoonReady connected device
  3. Use HQPlayer properly (no point in upsampling to the 192kHz max Dirac virtual sound card)
  4. Use a network connected RoonReady endpoint

Dirac is a popular software and by far best fit to Roon’s UX philosophy out of all the Room Correction software available today.

Dirac has made a VST plugin available as another option in addition to its Virtual sound card (DAP) so no need for specific joint integration effort - implement VST and all the above is solved in addition to any other VST options out there, without affecting customers who won’t use it.

The “This” link isn’t working.

Thanks, I was referring to VST as a “two for one” solution. Edited.

Fully agree that VST host functionality inside Roon would be beneficial, from a set of reasons. Earlier on, I have also suggested that it should be possible in Roon to define an external source as the stream for playback, for example a proper virtual sound card like the bit perfect HiFi cable Virtual sound card from VB-audio.

Such a feature would allow for any third party media player, for example a radio or TV app, or this or that mediaplayer, to connect to Roon’s multiroom feature set, which - in itself - would be another reason to purchase Roon (and fuel further sales for Roon), and this would of course come as an addition to all the good things already present in the Roon concept.

Both on Windows and OS X there are available hifi-proper virtual sound cards that would thus be invited. From this user perspective, this please-let-the-dream-come-true feature would obviously be beneficial for all parties.

Roon can be used with Dirac AU plugins, I’ve configured Roon to use them in their current beta DL 1.x version and used them with success.
(the upcoming Dirac Live 2.0 will feature AU and VST plugins as well)

As you can see in the image linked here: http://diracdocs.com/Roon&Dirac.png
one can use Audio Hijack so that the music stream from Roon is routed to the Dirac plugin first and from that to the DAC, or any output device.
(by the way Audio Hijack can be used for a number of other purposes)

One has to drag the Application icon from the menu on the right and then click it in order to select Roon so that audio from Roon will be captured
Then the Audio Units icon has to be dragged after the first icon and they will be automatically connected, the icon has to be clicked and Dirac plugin selected.
Last the output Device icon… again it will be automatically connected defining the path and the output device of choice has to be selected

Audio Hijack demo is available here: https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

:slight_smile: Flavio

Very interesting, I’ll take a look.

Thanks Flavio :slight_smile:

BTW - I actually prefer to be able to not use Dirac DAP (I can’t so far) since it has troubles detecting my DAC (which is actually an HDMI pre/pro) after it was turned off and on again forcing me to close Dirac DAP and re-open it every time (which takes time). So the VST option sounds great.

EDIT: Just figured AudioHijack is for MacOS. I’m on Windows. Looks great though.

I have’nt tried these two different virtual cables for Windows but they might be an option (donationware):
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/#DownloadCable
I’m confident that there other options as well, i.e. may be VAC:
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
other forumers might advice.

I’ve tried something similar with EqualizerAPO and VoiceMeeter but Dirac VST (from 1.x beta) doesn’t work on EqualizerAPO’s VST engine.

But anyway am I missing a point?
Even using all the above workarounds - the mentioned features I’ve listed in the OP would still be missing.

Hi Flavio,
thanks for the hint, finally a workaround for the static noise problem of Roon with Dirac. How do you configure Roon in that case? Currently I am playing to loopback, but I only have the trial version at the moment. The other outputs (built-in, DAC) don‘t seem to work.

Regards
Kay

I have installed the Dirac plugin on my Mac mini per Dirac instructions, and it works on Audirvana. When I use Audio Hijack to access the plugin using Roon, I follow the above instructions, but I get no sound, unless I bypass Audio Hijack. Is there something I am missing?
Thanks
Greg Young

Gregory,
I have installed Soundflower on my Mini and I play from Roon to Soundflower in exclusive mode. In Audio Hijack I capture the output of my Roon Server, direct it to the Dirac plugin and from there to my DAC.

HTH
Kay

Thanks for the tip, Kay!
I am able to create a Soundflower zone in Roon, and I can then use exclusive mode. But I’m not sure I have it set up correctly. If my first selection is a music file with a 44.1 sampling rate, and I then select a file with a 176.4 sampling rate, my DAC still displays 44.1, even though Roon and Audio Hijack show that a 176.4 file is being played.
I wonder if there is a hidden setting in Soundflower or Audio MIDI, but I have not found it yet.
Again, thanks for your response!
Greg

Hi Gregory,

not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but my DAC also sticks to the sampling frequency of the first file to be played. My solution is that I configure DSP in Roon to upsample everything to 192 kHz, then I set the DAC via Audio Midi Setup to 192/24 and afterwards I can play whatever I want. This lasts until the Audio Hijack is shut down.

HTH
Kay

Thanks, Kay. I figured out that I can use Audio MIDI to change the sampling rate to that of the file that I am playing.
I sent a help request to Dirac, and they are looking at how to use Audio Hijack. I passed on your tip about Soundflower!
Greg

I am aware this is an old thread, but there is no conclusion whether Dirac integration with Roon has gotten better at the end of the thread.

Since I am investigating whether to run Dirac on my Mac Studio or buy a dedicated hardware Dirac solution like miniDSP, it would be great to know if Dirac works as filter directly on Roon a few years after the above post. Feedback is appreciated.

It’s gotten worse, the new version of Diract Live no longer as the simple virtual ASIO soundcard design as it had before that supported a wide range of bit rate/depths. They have gone more after the VST plugin that Roon does not support. Current version is wonky as hell, and a poor UX as a result. I posted my steps elsewhere with the standalone software Dirac Live 3.

1 Like

What’s the rationale of changing into VST plugin? Does this enable them to sell more licenses as Dirac Live is becoming more hardware based?

I am guessing it’s a win-win for Dirac and hardware manufacturers by minimizing or crippling features those who just want to use the software-based Dirac Live?