Roon feeding Blue Node 2I with attached Yamaha DSP-A1

Core Machine

WRITE HERE
iMAC 21 inch with Big Sur
3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 2400MHz DDR4 512GB SSD
Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB video memory

Network Details

1Gbps Internet to Eero Pro 6 to iMAC via 1 Gbps Ethernet and Blue Node 2i via 1 Gbps ethernet. (no WiFi)

Yamaha DSP-A1 is connected to the Blue Node via toslink (tried Coax too). Bluesounds material says the blue node will send a bit perfect stream to optical attached devices. The max is 196zHz.

Audio Devices

WRITE HERE

Roon with FLAC Files and Quboz.

Description of Issue

WRITE HERE

Roon sends 96kHz original fiels to the blue node / DSP-A1 and they play fine, but 192kHz does not play (as expected) - the DSP-A1 only accepts a max of 96kHz. I configure Roon to have a maximum listening stream of 96kHz for the Blue Node and I get no sound. It is as if Roon is still sending a 192kHz stream even though the Roon Signal Path show 96 kHz.

The same scenario happens with Quboz or files on disk.

Any ideas?

Roon knows the device supports 192/24 but has no idea what the DAC does as it’s via optical and cannot transmit this back. You will need to use Roons resampling to achieve this make sure it’s on and set for compatability and set the max to be 96/24 for the Bluesound.

I think I have a user problem.

I set the Blue Nodes Device Setup in Roon to a max sample rate of 96kHz and the Stream shows a conversion from 192 to 96 dureing playback. I must be missing something else that I need to change. Can you point me in the right direction. thanks

Was this what I was suppose to do?

Still no luck. I must be getting it wrong. If I set The Sample Rate Conversion to Compatibility no luck either.

Hi Thomas,

I would try using the Node 2i DAC and connect it to the Yamaha via analog connection.

Not sure if the Node has a better DAC than the Yamaha, but I would give it a try.

I have been trying ot not do the analog solution since the Yamaha has a very unique DSP that does Digital Sound Field processing that emulate differnt lisetning environment like the Roxy Theater.

I don’t have the Yamaha, but I think it may work for the analog signal. Here’s page 50 from the Yamaha manual. I’m not familiar with this, so I may be wrong.

Thanks Greg … I will give it a try. The DSP-A1 is some vintage, unique hardware with the sound stagees. I feed a set of vintage Polk SDA ( Stereo Dimension Array) speakers which provide a very unique, full sound stage. If you are ever lucky enough, have a listen. Polk just re-released the technolgy after over 30 years in their Legend $6000 a pair speakers.

1 Like