Roon Free trial

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Intel Core 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
QNAP TS-228A 2-Bay 6TB NAS with 2 x 3TB WD Red Hard Drive (1GB RAM)
All hardwired via ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Linn Majik DSM.

Description Of Issue
I am considering getting Roon but have been advised my NAS is not of a high enough spec to support Roon to get best results. I accept this but would still like to trial Roon to see whether to upgrade, or buy the necessary new hardware, to enable it to work properly.

My question is if I trial it on my existing equipment will it work well enough, or at all, for me to make the decision on whether to go for the full Roon.

Roon won’t work on your NAS as a core, because your NAS doesn’t have an intelprocessor.
Your iMac may do the job. Just try and see for yourself. If it is to slow you can always buy a NuC and make a RoonCore.

One always gets the full Roon, there is no trial version. There is only a time limited free of charge trial license.

Ok the paid for Roon then - thanks.:roll_eyes:

Hi Andrew. Welcome to the forum. Someone from the official @support team would best be able to answer your question, but from a cursory scan, I would suggest that your set up should definitely allow you to test out Roon to see if it would work for you. The age of the iMac might cause you some stuttering or drop-outs, but I ran Roon for a few years on an old Macbook with lower specs without issue.

Roon requires a “core” or brain, that runs the system, and then “endpoints” that connect directly to your stereo. The core can link to other storage locations to find your music.

In your case, I would install Roon on the iMac. Once installed, in Settings/Storage, you can link to your NAS to find the music stored on there. If you have other music located on the hard drive of the iMac, you can create a link to that storage location too.

Under Settings/Services, log into Tidal or Qubuz if you have it. The local storage and streaming sources will meld together to present a cohesive library.

You shouldn’t need to install anything else anywhere. In Settings/Setup you can find the Linn Streaming Subnet that can be used to configure your Linn Majik as a Roon Endpoint. I’m not familiar with Linn, but I’m assuming you know how to rig up this end.

1 Like

Hi @andrew_duncan,

You can switch your Roon Core between as many devices as you wish, even while on trial. The limit here is having one active Roon Core at a time. Did you already sign up for a trial of Roon? If not, this would be the first step: https://roonlabs.com/login.html

Many thanks, a simple and straightforward answer for a complete novice, I wish more people were as helpful instead of trying to show off their technical knowledge (not here I hasten to add but on other platforms where I have posed similar questions - like FB!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.