Roon freezes every hour on HP desktop

I have same kind of problem. I changed Roon to a better, newer laptop ( HP ) It starts fine, Tidal and QOBUZ work perfectly. But, time to time, Roon freezes ( roon not responding-text at the left upper corner of the screen ) When I shut roon and open again, then it is OK. This happens in 0,5 h–1h period. Music is of course playing all the time when roon is going to freeze-mode.

Hey @Harri_alajaaski,

I’m so sorry about the trouble you’ve ran into. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you :sweat: (support works Monday-Friday).

I was wondering if you could please offer us some details about your setup (core, network connections, devices). That would help us a lot in trying to determine what is causing this.

Hi Rebeka, I changed my laptop, now HP i5 core pros. I have 100 Mbit/s internet, gigabit router, then two sonore optical modules with Uptone audio power supplies, AgVox Se-switch to my Dac ( Msb). Yesterday evening there were only one freezing. I am using both Tidal and Qobuz. When I switcs the computer on and open ROON, if it opens smoothly, then it usually works. If I am using first computer to surfing and THEN open ROON, I can see that it may have trouble to open. If I try again after booting my HP, it works. I am new to Qobuz, but I think it has nothing to do with my problem, it is something my laptop and ROON. Yours Harri

Hey @Harri_alajaaski,

I appreciate your prompt reply and the details you’ve shared. I’m hopeful that the answers to the following questions would help us narrow down this even more:

• Could you please share what other apps are running at the same time as Roon when it’s freezing?
  • Any other CPU-intensive apps running on the HP laptop?
  • What is your laptop model?
  • How large is your local music library? Where is it stored?

Thanks again :pray:

Hi Rebeka
-It can freeze without any other apps. ( just like it is doing now) If I restart the computer. ROON propably works fine, at least 0,5-1 hours, or many hours, you dont know.

However, I seem to be able control ROON with my Android Pad( old Samsung, seems to be working fine), but not from the laptop itself. ( I usually control streaming computer with wireless mouse and keys, having monitor with HDMI- cable near me. )
My laptop is HP Elitebook (Core i5) two years old. It was my working laptop I just bought to myself when I just retired ( from teaching physics and math. )
I dont have local library, just streaming from Tidal and Qobuz.

Except ROON, all other apps work normal.

I did not have any trouble with my old laptop ( seven years old HP with Windows 8.1) when using Tidal with ROON.

Harri

Hello @Harri_alajaaski,

Thanks a bunch for following up and for your patience while I got in touch with our technical team, they looked at your case and made suggestions for next steps.

Could you please:

• restart your HP desktop
  • uninstall the graphics drivers
  • navigate to the manufacturer’s website (e.g. NVIDIA, Realtek, etc.) and download the graphics drivers
  • install them
  • launch Roon

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hey @Harri_alajaaski,

It’s been quite some time since this thread was last active. I wanted to get in touch and see if the above steps have helped, or, if the issue is ongoing?

We’d love to help if there is an opportunity to :nerd_face:

Hi rebeka
Thank you not forgetting me :smiley::
Problem stays, but I think I can now live with it.
When I open my laptop and Roon, it usually ( always)crashes. Then I reboot second time my computer, open Roon, it works. It may crash in 1-2 hours time, but I just reopen Roon and it works.( No need to boot my laptop) This takes just a few seconds. And, as I said, if I use my tablet to control Roon, there is no problem.
Harri

2 Likes