Roon functionality very slow

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus±Operating System 1.0 Build (254) production

Upgraded RAM to 16 GB

Roon Server Software-Roon Version 2.0 (Build 1211)

Remote

iPad Pro 11 (3rd Generation) OS Version 16; 1TB Capacity (960 GB Available);

16 GB RAM

Roon Version 2.0 (build 1211)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1100 SQ Ft Home

Modem-Recent Speed test-Download-931.49 Mbps; Upload-106.22 Mbps

Araknis Networks Router-AN-110-RT-2L1W-WiFi Router and Araknis Managed Switch AN-310-SW-R-8 (Flow control is turned on all ports as per Roon’s recommendations) google DNS address; Multicast and DNS settings are optimized as per my network administrator; No content filter on router; UpNp discovery is “turned on” on all network devices.

Roon Core and Synology NAS have static IP addresses (DHCP reservation via the router)

Modem hardwired to Router

Core hardwired to Switch

NAS hardwired to Switch

All cabling is cat 6 or cat 7

Connected Audio Devices

DAC-Ayre QB-9 Twenty-hardwired to Auralic Aries G2 by USB

Network Streamer-Auralic Aries G2-hardwired to Switch

Library Details

Music Storage-Synology DS1821+ NAS

Streaming Service-Tidal

106,929 Tracks

11,063 albums made up of roughly 7000 on NAS and roughly 4000 from Tidal

Description of Issue

For some time, I’ve been experiencing sluggishness for a variety of functions on Roon. As you will note below, the following times from this afternoon are less than stellar:

• Loading Roon Home Page-45 seconds
  • Loading album from my NAS-29 seconds
  • Loading album from Tidal-25 seconds
  • Loading one of my Roon playlists-42 seconds
  • Playing an album from Tidal-1 minute, 28 seconds
  • Playing an album from my NAS- 30 seconds

Although “Search” and the “Gap between songs” can be equally slow, today they seem to be fine, oddly enough.

I should also note these problems come and go with no discernible pattern as to when they might arise or go away.

Any solution to the foregoing, would be appreciated.

Is Roon going to do me the courtesy of responding to my query that was sent to you over two weeks ago?

@support
14 days.
Just in case this was missed.

@support

Just following up

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon functionality very slow on PC

I have tagged @support for you @Charles_Casey

Thanks Robert!

1 Like

Hi @Charles_Casey,

Your wait time was unacceptable. Please accept our apologies for missing this thread when you originally posted. Rest assured we’ll be more responsive and you can expect a prompt reply during troubleshooting.

Diagnostic logs from the affected Nucleus+ show cyclical RAATServer failures, as well as failure to reach Roon’s servers to obtain Date/Time. These likely aren’t solely responsible for the slowness you’ve experienced but might indicate an underlying network issue that, despite the optimized network you’ve described, is causing packet loss or introducing filtering upstream of the Nucleus+.

First, let’s refresh conditions by refreshing RoonServer via the steps below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Next, it might be worth verifying in the Dual Image settings of your Araknis managed switch whether both partitions are on the same firmware. I’d also check that IGMP Snooping is enabled in the router, if available.

As a physical test, try using a different ethernet port for the Synology on the managed switch.

Per the loading duration you’ve described above, the Nucleus+ might be accessing TIDAL’s servers more easily than it’s accessing the networked storage location. Is there any variation in the loading time between file type (sample rate, bit depth, etc.)?

We’ll be keeping a close lookout for your response. Thank you again for your patience.

2 Likes

Hi Connor,

I will try out the items you’ve suggested and get back to you with my findings.

Regards,
Charlie

1 Like

Hi Connor, will the “new database” have all of my playlists etc?

Thanks
Charlie

@support Hello, can someone please get back to me on the questions I have previously posted?
Thanks
Charlie

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.