Roon GUI on Linux? [Answered]

A post was split to a new topic: Installing Roon GUI On Linux

Can you run it in Bottles of Wine?

That’s the idea… run Windows in a Bottle. I usually find a glass of Verdicchio helps with the installation process.

Lol. If you drink enough bottles of wine you won’t have to worry about not having a GUI in Linux…

you’re biggest accomplishment at that point will be being able to lay down on the floor without holding on! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s now August 2023 and Windows, whilst still dominant, is sitting at 69%. OSX is the big winner, although in % terms Linux is up 30%.

I use Linux . I have RoonBridge installed so the Linux desktop can play music but control it from the phone. Not the greatest usability but it’s OK. To be honest I tend to use the phone to control all my Roon endpoints so simply treat my Linux box the same as my Hifi, headphone setup, bedroom system etc

I have built a simple Linux GUI app that displays the current track with artwork and allows simply pause/play control to run in the desktop but sadly the Roon API doesn’t allow this to connect as a display automatically - i.e. to set it up I have to go to a Room control point (e.g. my phone) and link the display the app has created with my Linux desktop’s Roon zone.

Personally my thoughts are that if Roon want to help the Linux world the better answer would be to expand/complete the API and then hobbyists would build Roon controls and displays around the existing Linux RoonBridge.

1 Like

Linux desktop usage is now a tad over 3% from 2.5% a year ago… doesn’t change things really. If you exclude Asia, Africa, and South America from the data, the figure is probably 1.5%.

Fortunately, Roon on Wine is pretty good at the moment, and for playback roon-tui is a promising addition.

2 Likes

Isn’t there already a web based controller using extensions.

I had it running on my Echo Show nearly a half decade ago.

I can’t get the wine version to run and it’s honestly a pretty big hassle. I’m thinking maybe just run a windows vm and install Roon on it so you don’t have to use your phone to control it.

Make sure you install Wine Staging.

Damn, as much as I like Roon on my home setup, I hate the lack of proper Linux client. Just a simple Web client would be sufficient. Third party Web Controller is at least something, but it is drastically simplistic and requires to run node app separately (right?)

Why? Why??

3 Likes

Roon already offers a http based display of the current playing pane. It shouldn’t be too big a hassle to expand that to a simple control pane. .?

It’s really a pity, that I can’t control playback from my Linux PC.

Is there a feature request where I can add my vote? I couldn’t find any.

Search for Linux in Feature Suggestions and this will come up as one of the top relevant results: