ROON Hates Me, and I Don't Know Why!

Roon Core Machine

NUCLEUS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am now convinced that in a previous life I inadvertently did something to offend the ROON gods. ROON does not play all the tracks listed (and I know there are threads on this topic) in the ROON PLAYLISTS!

Examples of ROON PLAYLISTS in which only a subset of tracks play:

1. Blues Origins: 59 tracks; only 10 play
  2. Coachella 2023: 60 tracks; only 14 play
  3. 70’s Scene: 101 tracks; only 54 play

The same is true for ROON DAILY MIXES:
4) Temple of the Dog Mix: 25 tracks; only 17 play
5) The Beatles Mix: 25 tracks; only 18 play

What’s the issue? These are YOUR playlists/mixes, not some “third party”.

The same occurs for many, many of albums I wish to stream from my QOBUZ “sublime” account are “unavailable”. We are talking about almost all albums I wish to stream, not just the occasional odd one-off. Is there a solution or issue I can address? What am I missing?

Do you have a Tidal account also? Some of the tracks might be Tidal tracks. There could also be regional “rights” issues with some tracks.

1 Like

I have Qobuz and Tidal and it all plays fine for me, including these playlists. If an issue affects individual users and the forum is not overwhelmed with complaints, the safe assumption is that the issue is in some way in your setup or at least localized to your Roon, and not a general Roon issue. So complaining to Roon about “These are YOUR playlists/mixes” is not the address that will fix it. We need to find out why it does not work FOR YOU.

The playlists as such are irrelevant if, like you wrote, you can barely play ANY Qobuz content whatsoever. I understand that you can play SOME Qobuz content, correct? (I.e., not ALL of Qobuz is affected?).

You said that you have seen other threads about similar things. Note that just because it behaves similarly on the surface, the underlying issues don’t have to be the same. However, in many threads where just internet streaming was affected, it helped to change the DNS server setting on the router to a better DNS than what most ISPs provide by default, such as Cloudflare DNS: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

Did you try this already?

Plus, please answer the question from the posting template:

Networking Gear & Setup Details

2 Likes

If you look at the tracks in a Playlist do you see “unavailable” for any? This would indicate a regional restriction issue.

If you keep an eye on the Now Playing screen from your Core do you see a message saying track is loading slowly?
This usually indicates an issue with your Network.
Or less likely that your Core is struggling.
First step would be to power everything off and power on in this order waiting for each device to come online before the next : Modem (if you have one), Router, Network Switches (if you have them) then Roon Core machine.
If the problem persists please provide full details of your Network setup and connectivity.

I’ve had this issue before.
In my case changing DNS to Cloudfare, as suggested above, resolved it.
I’ve also found Qobuz will occasionally “get slow” for whatever reason, often resulting in an increase in support posts here. Then it resolves on its own after a few hours :woman_shrugging:

None of the tracks are listed as “unavailable” (which happens when I try and stream from Qobuz. This is a different “issue” in that a playlist will contain a certain number of tracks, but only a subset of them play. There are no messages concerning “track loading slowly”. In fact, there are no messages at all. If a playlist has 25 tracks, for example, when click “play now” the popup indicates “playing 19 tracks” (or whatever the number). I changed to Cloudfare, and the same thing continues to happen.

Hey @Mark_Opp,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Can you please fill out all of your networking information within the necessary system info in your original post?

With that, I’d be curios to see how things run on a fresh database. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Please test out how things run before restoring a backup or adding your local library back. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.