Roon in Windows 10 VM (Parallels) does not see USB device

Connected Audio Devices

iFi Zen DAC connected to USB on Windows

I am running Windows 10 as a Parallels VM. Parallels is installed on an old 2012 Mac Mini running High Sierra. I’ve installed Roon in Windows. It finds the Roon core (on another mac mini) without any problems. However, it does not show my locally connected USB device: an iFi Zen DAC. When I connect the Zen DAC, Parallels asks whether to connect it to MacOS or Windows. I chose Windows. I also installed the correct drivers from the iFi Web site. Windows shows the DAC as a correctly functioning USB device. But when I open Roon, it does not see the iFi DAC.

Does anyone have any idea why? With any answers, please bear in mind that I’m reasonably but not super technical.

Thanks–Hans

I should have pointed out that in fact Roon shows NO devices on the local machine, not even the default output. The first devices listed are those directly connected to the core (on my other Mac mini).

Drop the firewall on windows and see if it works then.

And Tidal installed in the same environment as Roon does see the locally attached iFi Zen DAC and plays on it without a hitch.

This cannot be a firewall issue, since I am not trying to connect to a device on another machine.

I’ve moved your post and the thread to the #tinkering category, since this is a configuration that is not supported by Roon Labs, and the Support Team will be unable to respond.

Everything (did I mention EVERYTHING :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) in windows seems to get routed though windows defender and firewall.

And note it being on parallels, there is a lot of parallels voodoo going on behind the scenes, which is why you’re probably having issues with connected devices.

If I recall correctly, if you connect a device with parallels VM running there is an option to load the device in Mac or PC… I’d look possibly down that path for a possible solution.

Windows 10 is still the latest greatest for Microsoft though… not to be confused with the latest which isn’t the greatest: Windows 11.

Roon routes everything as if it’s network connected, even local.

Thank and I have tried your suggestion, but it has no effect. That is what I expected because a connection to a USB port is not a network connection. The DAC is connected to a windows USB port and available as a device to other apps.
Roon reports no local sound devices at all, not even default system output.

Thanks for your suggestion but disabling the Windows firewall has no effect on this issue.

FYI:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.