Roon Inconsistently Reading Google File Stream

Weird thing happening. I’ve got Roon recognizing/importing/playing some of my Google File Stream files but not others.

I don’t understand why it’s recognizing one of my albums and doing exactly what I want it to do and then when I import more music into my “Music” directory I have set up, it’s not recognizing it at all, even when I “Force Rescan.”

Can anyone be of assistance on this one? Would be great to be able to point Roon to cloud storage.

Hello @Alexander_Klausner,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over the issue you are facing here. May I ask how exactly you are streaming the Google Files to Roon? Am I correct in assuming you are using Google Drive and have a network folder on your computer that you have set as a watched location in Roon? If this is the case then it is possible that Roon is analyzing the files before they have been completely downloaded to your computer and that is why you are facing these issues.

One test I would like for you to try: What happens if you download the Google Drive music directly to your hard drive and then point Roon to that folder that has the music 100% downloaded, does it still fail to recognize the albums? As in if you navigate to your Google drive and hit ‘download’ on that folder instead of streaming it over the network, does it work as expected? Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Something even weirder happening now.

When I moved the files to my desktop that were being read and identified by Roon, they moved fine. But when I moved the files that WEREN’T being read by Roon, I get this:

What the heck?

About the above post: the difference between what worked and what didn’t is the files that weren’t being “read” or whatever or aren’t transferring to my Desktop or getting the error message is they were CD rips using XLD. The album that is being read is a download. If I need to re-rip the CDs using different software or something, let me know.

That is some strange behavior indeed. I did some more research as what could be causing error 36 and these articles all point to the same issue/solution, basically it means that you are trying to copy a Mac OSX based file into a FAT32 formatted drive and the hidden files cause issues when being copied or moved:

Article #1
Article #2
Article #3

You can attempt the solutions posted in those articles but this error also begs the question, is it possible that this error originally prevented Roon from recognizing the files while on the network share (if your google drive folder location is on a FAT32 drive and is not saved on the MACOSX hardisk). I will ask our QA team to take a closer look at this question and get back to you after they have given me a response but if the problem is only affecting one CD and that is causing issues, yes I would try to re-rip the CD with another software or if you would like you can send us those files for further analysis, I will PM you a link on how to do that shortly. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Sounds good! I’m willing to bet that’s what it is. Another solution may be to attempt to rip the CD directly into the Google File Stream. Once I get back home tonight and have access to my disks again I’ll give that a try!

@Alexander_Klausner,

Yes, please give that try or see if another application is able to extract those tracks for Roon to recognize. I look forward to hearing your observations!

Thanks,
Noris

Hey guys.

So, I ripped the files into the Google File Stream. That seemed to work great. The albums showed up. And now, they won’t play.

Again, my downloaded music is working just fine. My CD-ripped files, however…

Sorry to hear that the files are not playing after ripping them from the Google Stream. Would it be possible for you to send us those files so that we can take a closer look at them and verify that the issue is with the files themselves and not with the system you have setup? I will PM you instructions shortly on how to upload the files for analysis.

Thanks,
Noris