Roon iPad App hangs or unstable after returning from background mode

Hi @Jack_Lee1/@Jack_Lee2,

Thanks for the info, I was able to locate the iPad under the @Jack_Lee2 account and I have enabled diagnostics mode for it.

Diagnostics mode automatically uploads a log-set from your iPad next time the Roon app is running on it.

Can I please ask that you open the Roon app on your iPad once more, use it for a few min and let me know here once you have done so? I can then check to see if the iPad report has been delivered.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Screen whiteout

Hi @noris,

I just did what you asked. Please see if the log was delivered.

Interestingly, the app didn’t crash this time, even after running in the background before restoring to foreground via the dock app icon. Perhaps enabling diagnostic mode cured the problem …

Hi @Jack_Lee1/@Jack_Lee2,

Thanks for letting me know, I can confirm that the iPad log was received.
I took a look through it and I’m not noticing any crashes on June 5th/11:55AM or the whereabouts.

I don’t believe diagnostics have any relation to the crashing behavior, all diagnostics mode does it upload a log set to our servers for analysis.

If the behavior occurs again, can you please record a short video of it?

Hi @noris,

Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll let you know in case it crashes again.

It won’t be possible to record the crash though, as by the time it happens the app will be gone so nothing to record.

Hi @Jack_Lee2,

You mentioned that the app typically crashes again once you restart it from the Dock:

Is it possible to record this behavior?

Hi @noris,

I’ll try to record it when it reoccurs. Since the log was enabled I haven’t yet encountered any issues. Even the trick of bring it to foreground via the dock works fine. Before that it was crashing 9 out of 10 times.

Well, I think the ios may also have updated during this time so not sure if that’s related. I’ll keep watching it and let you know in case the issue returns. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @noris,

The app hangs just now (Around 3pm GMT+8). After a few retries it seems to have restarted itself and resume working. I stopped the app a few minutes afterwards so please see if a log was submitted. Thanks.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon iPad App Hangs

Hi @Jack_Lee2,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. It looks like the previous log request timed out so I have submitted another request. No need to reproduce the issue, but please open the Roon app when you have a chance and let me know so I can check if the logs are delivered this time around.

@noris,

Sorry for the late reply. I have used the app again. Please see if the log was delivered. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Jack_Lee2,

Thanks for the ping, I can confirm that the logs have been delivered, although unfortunately it doesn’t look like there is much information in them regarding the issue.

We recently released a new build of Roon this week, can you confirm if the new build also displays the same behavior as before?

@noris,

The issue has not occurred since enabling the log (or whatever happened). I’ll let you know once it re-occur. Thanks.

Hi @noris,

Okay, it just re-occurred. When switching back to the app via the Dock, the app’s screen is all white. I then selected Albums and no album was displayed, instead it says “Try removing focus filter” or something like that.

I then clicked on the Focus icon and it crashed. Hope the log was delivered so that you can look into it.

Thanks!

@noris,

Btw, the app ver is 1.7 (Build 571).
ROCK is ver 1.7 (build 555)

Hi @Jack_Lee2,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. I don’t see the logs delivered yet, but I’ll re-activate diagnostics mode for your iPad.

Last time I took a look at logs, they weren’t very helpful though, so I was hoping you could submit a recording of how to get into this state from when Roon is working properly at the start?

Being able to reproduce this behavior at-will in a QA environment would be the most helpful way to address this issue.

Hi @noris,

Thanks for the update. Is the log configure not persistent?

It’s very difficult to record the error as it only occurs sparingly now. At the time I raised the issue, it was completely repeatable but now it is random with low probability. Well, at least it works much more reliably now.

1 Like

Hi @Jack_Lee2,

I can confirm that the logs made it through this time around, last time they timed out (requests automatically time out if not delivered) and I’m seeing an interesting trace here, let me run this by QA. I have a few questions so that I can properly fill out the report for them:

1. What model is your Core and iPad?
  2. What is your network setup like? Please list model/manufacturer of networking gear
  3. It doesn’t look like your Core is communicating with our diagnostics servers at this time, so please try rebooting it and I can check to see if there’s a report delivered.

Hi @noris,

I have rebooted the ROCK. The h/w is an Intel NUC:
Product code: BOXNUC8i7BEH4
Regulatory Model: NUC8BEH
which has a Samsung 2TB SSD plus a 512GB M.2 SSD installed.

The iPad is iPad Pro (12.9") 3rd Generation with 64GB storage.

The network setup is like this:

ISP Router <-> Asus RT-AC88U (NAT mode) [Port 1] <-> EtherRegen [GBE] <-> ROCK

Asus RT-AC88U (NAT mode) [Port 2] <-> Asus RT-AC86U (AP mode) <-> WiFi <-> iPad

All devices are in the same subnet with either fixed IP configuration (ROCK) or DHCP (iPad).

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.