Roon iPad app won't download to iPad2[solved]

The Roon iPad app returns an incompatibility message when I try to download it from the App Store on my iPad 2.

Mike

Hi Mike, Roon requires a 64 bit iOS device that can support OpenGL ES 3.0 meaning iPad Air, Mini 2 or later.

Andrew:
Thanks for the response. I use my iPad 2 for many things, some where I need the screen “real estate.” The iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 don’t seem to have this screen “real estate,” so I would have to buy something just to control Roon…

Trying to keep the cost of that down, what are the implications for less RAM, e.g., 16 GB versus 64 GB?

Any other variables that I should attend to in this decision?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

In this context 64 bit refers to the width of the internal “pipe” or bus in the device. Earlier devices shift memory around in 32 bit blocks, from Air and Mini 2 onwards that is 64 bit blocks. Roon Remote will run on 16GB RAM and up on those devices and later iOS devices.

We had three iPads at home that were under spec. I picked up a Mini 3 which I use for Roon.

I’d suggest checking out the second hand market. There have been reports of people being able to upgrade by selling and buying for quite modest margins.

The latest iPad Air (2) models are the same screensize but offer much more detail and speed. A great update over the iPad 2, probably for your other needs as well. Not a cheap upgrade from the 2 though, it won’t be worth much I’m afraid.

Andrew & Jan-Jaap:
My question really is what does the extra RAM buy me vis-a-vis Roon. I paid over $1K for my iPad 2 less than 2 years ago and it works for everything I need except for Roon, so an iPad I buy for Roon will probably just be for Roon. And I certainly will be looking on Ebay but next week is thanksgiving so there will be a slew of deals then too. I need to know, however, whether to get a 16 GB, a 32 GB, a 64 GB, or a 128 GB model with a price range from $269 to $829. So, what would the extra RAM do?
Thanks gentlemen,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Roon will work on 16Gb iPads and up from Air or Mini 2 models on. Increased storage will make no difference to Roon Remote performance.

Andrew:
Thanks, I’m good to go.
Mike

Andrew:
Wait! One more question if you would be so kind: The iPad Air 2 is the only iPad (aside from the Pro) that has 802.11 ac. Any idea whether this is worth the extra $200 for a Roon remote control?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
801.11ac is not necessary.
Cheers,
Andybob

1 Like

You can use older iPad’s to control Roon! Download a Remote Desktop app onto your iPad 2 and connect to your Windows Roon Server. Start the Roon Program and control your music and endpoints from your iPad 2 (through your Windows Machine). This works fine for me, as I do not have an newer iPad at this time. All the best.

1 Like