Roon Is Agonizingly Slow Loading Music

Thank you Larry :+1:
What would be the preferred DNS when located in Central Europe/Switzerland?

Hello @Jim_F,

Glad that you have been able to narrow this down to Windows Defender. Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have. Once you have added these exceptions, does the issue still occur?

Either should have numerous servers in your region. Or you can use Gibson Research free DNS tool to measure and make the choice.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

1 Like

OK, I think it’s fixed. I went into Windows Defender and clicked box to allow RAAT through firewall. Tidal and Qobuz music starts almost immediately.

Thanks everyone for you excellent help. Seems like a place I will enjoy being a part of. I guess I need to purchase a dedicated device to host the Roon core.

Wow, this is great now.

2 Likes

OK, I’m in. I just ordered a Nucleus from Moon. I don’t have any music of my own, so I’m sure the Nucleus will work for me streaming Tidal and Qobuz. For the difference in price, I’d rather purchase a finished product than risk building something and not getting it to work properly. At my age (71), I’m looking for solutions not challenges. Thanks for all your help.

4 Likes

Hi @Jim_F,

Glad to hear that the issue is fixed since making those changes and happy to hear about your Nucleus purchase, it should be a fantastic addition to your setup. If you want get a head-start on Nucleus setup info we also have the Nucleus Manual on our Knowledge Base. Welcome to the forum and if you have any additional issues don’t hesitate to reach out!

Thanks. I have a 1TB SSD I’m going to put in it.

2 Likes

Is it enough to Switch to say openDNS (for example) on the modem/router to the ISP or do I have to do this on all the Clients (Linux roon Server, several PCs and Notebooks as well as many Android devices) connecting via LAN and W-LAN as well?
Sorry for the noob question :flushed:

If your devices are making use of the DHCP server in your modem/router to get their local network IP addresses, then it is sufficient to just set the DNS server address that you want to use in the modem/router itself.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I will give it a try :+1:

This is great info!

1 Like

I hated to do it, but I cancelled my order for the Nucleus. I decided I wanted to let my full 60 day trial of Roon run before I made such a commitment. I may order it again in a few months.

I also cancelled my Qobuz account. I was on a 60 day trial. I really like Qobuz, but don’t need both Tidal and Qobuz and don’t need to spend that much money. If anything, I think I would rather keep Roon than keep both Tidal and Qobuz. I really like being able to stream wirelessly to my Oppo 203 with Roon.

If you have an existing PC on which to run Roon as the Core you can easily add a RPi4 to the mix, install RoPieee on it and have a Roon enabled USB transport for any DAC of your choosing. Cheap to acquire, a 5 minute doddle to set up (there’s almost nothing at all to do) and you’re smiling. Gives you everything Roon offers whilst you decide whether a Nucleus is warranted.

Thanks, but my goal is to get Roon off of my Dell XPS 15 and onto another computer device that will run the Roon core. I have an iPad and iPhone to use as the controlling device. If I stick with Roon, I will probably go with the Nucleus. Streaming wirelessly to my Oppo 203 works perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.