Roon is great with Tidal and Qobuz ... What would the other providers add?

I do get you Jim, you feel protective about what you/we have here already.

I guess I differ, we already know that just the two current streaming services do not suit even the users here within this forum. On that basis, given it’s only a small proportion of total users, I would assume it would similarly assist others and perhaps keep them within the Roon ecosystem.

The last thing I’d want to see is subscribers jumping ship as Roon did not offer enough of what they deemed important. If that so happens to be additional streaming service integration then naturally I support it (on the basis it does not decrease Roon usability as we currently know it).

I am also well aware that most younger people use Spotify in particular and I am all for Roon attracting a younger audience if at all possible. Rather than it being a niche market for largely oldies (myself included :grin:).

Cheers.

I am new to the ROON experience but will echo some of the other voices on here. I am really happy with this app. I have been living with frustration over the way Apple has handled my files from a metadata standpoint and don’t get me started on the mess that was made when Apple went from iTunes to the music app, I am still recovering from that chaos. Roon doesn’t care about the barbarity that Apple treats my files with it just makes everything right from a visual and search aspect. I have Tidal which I have been happy with as I only use it to supplement my local Mac Mini server. If I find something that I really like on Tidal then I purchase it and add it to my local library. I don’t care about the other streaming services as I only want lossless playback from my streams. As my KEF’s are Roon endpoints all of my needs are currently being met. I will say that I wouldn’t want Roon integration for the sake of market share either as I would prefer that whatever service they chose to integrate with added something not being currently met by Qobuz and or Tidal.

A post was split to a new topic: What KEFs do you have?

No, please do not add Spotify. Geeze.

2 Likes

The problem i have is that neither Tidal nor Qobuz play in the google ecosystem well. Both Spotify and Deezer work great on my wireless android auto system or with my google home products but dont work with Roon. Its the exact opposite for the others thus Its either subscribe to more than one service to meet all of my needs or sacrifice on one end. Im really hoping Deezer integration gets worked out.

3 Likes

I subscribe to Tidal, Qobuz, and Apple Music. It’s not that expensive to have what you need.

2 Likes

These guys have been trying to get added to no avail.

Looks pretty decent

https://www.highresaudio.com/en

Oh…so we should remove qobuz. I am opting for as many providers as we can. Then you can choose. If you like 256kbs mp3 so what? Open plugins made by users may change here a lot…

I did not say or imply Roon should remove Qobuz.

Can you link a source about their efforts ?

1 Like

You just need to email them and they will tell you. I think I’ve posted it a few times on these boards.

Roon’s radio function is very poor. Adding Pandora or Sirius XM when you don’t need full high resolution music but you want quality, curated, background music is essential. As an integrator having over 3,000 clients over 25 years these are things virtually all clients ask for - that aren’t current Roon clients, ease of use is paramount and asking them to have two different ways to access and control music is unreasonable. If you want to expand your user base and get them thrilled with the things you do well (which they desperately want, because the other music interfaces - savant, control 4, autonomic, etc. aren’t great), you can’t ask them to have a completely different system for casual music.

I don’t see that as essential at all. I think Roon is probably doing well without Pandora or Sirius XM. If they add another streaming service, neither of those would be on my list.

How would curation done by Pandora or Spotify fit into Roon’s presentation model?
Don’t see how that could be done.

Not arguing.

+1 for SiriusXM to be added under Live Radio. I listen to that service on my Amazon or Sonos devices when I want background radio, which I think they do a fine job of and the sound quality is actually pretty good (seems to be better than it used to be). Sounds really good when using the Apple TV app as well. It would be far more convenient to have it available in Roon “Live Radio” instead of having to juggle between different apps depending on my mood.

Seriously? SiriusXM?! What a steaming pile of crap that is. I’ve had 3 new cars with XM radios in them (my wife has had 2). The first two I actually tried the 6 month trial. Horrible sound quality, just awful, makes 128kbs MP3’s sound great. And there was such a shallow catalog every time I stayed on a station for any length of time.

On my first car I actually renewed once after they begged long enough that it was down to $5 a month. And when I quit that deal, I got a call from the XM people and I explained that for $10 a month I can have apple music and 60 million titles. When they can offer that and DRASTICALLY improve the sound quality for less than $10 a month, call me back.

My latest car I haven’t even flipped over to it ever. When I get the XM envelopes in the mail, they get tossed instantly.

Sheldon

1 Like

We’ve had SiriusXM for 5 years, but only because we can listen to 60’s at 6 and 50’s at 5 when traveling and not have to search for local radio stations. My wife listens to a gospel station when she’s driving around town. But you are right, the SQ is not good. I definitely would not want Roon to link up with SiriusXM.

I FINALLY cancelled my Sirius XM subscription in my car. Agree with everyone - the sound quality is absolutely horrendous.

I’m leaning toward a Qobuz subscription. I think I can go through my phone to get it in my car. I wonder how that will sound?

i’ve tried Qobuz, Tidal, Apple Music, and Spotify in my car, and by far, the best sound i’ve gotten has been the Apple Lossless stream from…

…Radio Paradise. highly recommended.

1 Like

I have maintained my Apple Music subscription (now rolled into my Apple One Premier bundle) in large part to due to stability away from home. Weather walking and using cellular or on a hotel wifi etc. I get less dropouts etc.