Roon is simply unusable for classical collectors

@Speed_Racer I repeat myself: I am paying Roon! If I buy tomatos from a vegetable dealer and they are rotten, I throw them back at him, not at the Tomato farmer with whom I have no commercial contract. This “excuse” you keep bringing up is - with all due respect - just utter ■■.

2 Likes

Have you looked in the “Metadata Issues” sub-forum? Specifically this pinned topic:

2 Likes

You are over the top and your analogy is so flawed it is useless. You are paying Roon but you are not paying Roon to create and maintain metadata. So you have no commercial contract with Roon to create or maintain metadata. Roon will certainly try to get any metadata errors your report (properly) to them fixed at the source. They even tell you how to inform them in the article I link above.

3 Likes

Nope. But in that case Roon should stay well clear and away from my collection and not dump it with their acquired metadata-junk. That would enable me to use my clean tags - and there would be no problem that would require heated exchanges.

1 Like

Well, you know that Roon has settings to prefer certain album and track tag data when present. But Roon will probably never allow all of the information Roon has to be turned off. For the overwhelmingly huge majority of subscribers, that would be a negative user experience. Maybe you just need to accept that Roon is never going to allow you the flexibility to use your data the way you want. Roon is not JRiver nor is it trying to be.

It seems no product out there works for you because none of them work the way you want them to. I don’t see anything wrong with you making feature requests. But, you can’t do that. You have to deride Roon while complaining constantly about their shortcomings both real and imagined.

1 Like

Not? Please check the facts before making such statements.

I knew the article but I missed the „report to Allmusic“ link. I will give it a try. It would, of course, be much more convenient if you could report this out of Roon. Did you use it already? Is there any feedback provided after submmiting corrections?

@Klaus_Kammerer1. I cant even get too excited about some individual tag mismatches. I just fix them.

The problem is more what seems to be a fundamental flaw in Valance, which creates duplicate and triplicate artist entries on hundreds of albums. Thats much harder to fix manually.

@dylan is looking into this for a few examples I’ve send him. Other than what some people seem to think I want this software to function properly one day. Just invested in a NUC

Just set your albums in question to unidentified. It will then only use your tags and info. I do that for many Operas.

well, that would leave very few „identified“ albums in my collection. But I have actually done that for quite a few albums where other means of fixing were too time consuming. I still believe this can be fixed by Roon as many issues are repetitive. Even slightly less intelligent AI should spot if the same artist appears three times in the credits!

So many destructive posts to my suggestions. I don‘t think, i will never return to the community. Good night.

Why do you use roon?

1 Like

Because iti’s the best software I found since I started to deal with music from digital sources as hard disks in 2006. And the seamless integration of streaming services as Quobuz is really the best resolution you can find. Any other suggestions?

That‘s not always true. As long as the composition in question is known to Roon and identified by a different string, the file tags seem still to be ignored. At least that is what I have been experiencing.
I have reported a couple of cases but never got an explanation from Roon support.

neat trick !!I have been playing with the ROONALBUMTAG for box sets but never thought of Composer

I use JRiver in parallel , and I have a “cut down” composer list using a View Rule to limit to say my top 20 (as well s the full set) to avoid clutter of Composers with just the odd work , using the ROONALBUMTAG you could be selective and just choose to apply it to the “favourites”

It would however be little better than a Dynamic Bookmark created by the focus Tool

Hi @Speed_Racer

I have had a look at the Allmusic “Submit Correction” Link. I’m not sure I will be going to use it very often. It does not look very motivating, seems to be a one direction communication: drop your stuff here and we may or not do anything about it. I guess, I’ll give it a pass. But thanks for the hint.

For my Roon use case (only classical, only local library, fairly well tagged) the time and effort investment into correcting some 3rd party metadata that I cannot get easily transferred to my file tags is not very attractive.
I guess what I’d really like to do is to leverage Roons data model to have my local library presented in a structured, easy to navigate way using these nice hyperlinks for artists, composers and compositions.
What I experience is a software that tries to tell me what my primary artists are (even if I have defined them myself).
I get additional primary artists created out of “nowhere”, even if I set my library to prefer file while at the same time the recognition of primary artists is often a hit and miss (I mean the “linking” of primary artists entries to the artists database).
So I come into Roon with 10K local albums that I have tagged for years and that are consistent (even if they are not absolutely “complete” about detailed info like producers, recording locations etc.) and what I get is an awful amount of cleanup to do in order to have the albums presented in the same consistency as before. Why should I invest time in this work, if it is only to “get back” what I already have in my tags?

7 Likes

I see. You are only going to be happy if Roon works exactly the way you work. You want Roon to spend tens of thousands of man hours architecting a way for Roon to work not only with how you tag classical albums, but every other guy tags classical albums. Because lord knows there are 327 ways people do it. Let’s not worry that about 1/10th of 1 percent of the subscriber base would benefit from all of this work. No, I would rather Roon spend time cleaning up the UI and adding features that the vast majority of subscribers would use.

Agree with your sentiment. Generally I stop using things I don’t like!

But I think Roon should think carefully about its strategic directions and investment priorities. Many users perceive its major value to be in the way it handles data and presents it back to the user. Those who prefer audio engineering / dsp processing as the priority have other apps as options. ( not that Roon is inadequate in audio engineering, indeed I think it’s great)

For me Roon has to be data and content-centric driven to continue to attract music-philes!

Cheers

How do you know all this? You seem to be obsessed with sticking to the way things are. Dont improve the way classical music is handled. Its only a minority. Give us other users priority! Quite an attitude. Progress as a threat? Thats why dinosaurs went extinct 100 million years ago

2 Likes

Of course Roon should improve how they handle all genres of music. What they shouldn’t do is spend a zillion man hours of time working on complex features that almost no one will use. Adding flexibility to the tagging system is a good idea. But, making it perfect for what you want to do is probably not the best use of Roon’s man hour pool.