Roon is simply unusable for classical collectors

@bbrip, that is certainly a very clear result and was the point of the excercise. No one was expecting any improvements, just a more objective measure of the scale of your problems. As several have tried to point out, your results confirm that your current tags are pretty much 100% incompatible with roon best practice. You have made it very clear that a significant re-edit of your tags to comply with roon best practice is not an option. Several experienced forum contributors have tried to point out that no combination of roon switches or configuration options will help you very much under that constraint. That’s a shame. I guess we all know what the solution is. Maybe one day long in the future when there are industry standards for Classical music meta-data that everyone in the meta-data supply chain conforms to bad experiences like yours will be a thing of the past.

5 Likes

And that’s a very healthy and correct attitude. Roon may be here today, may not be tomorrow (the same goes for any other software). One’s music collection is there lifelong, assuming he’s serious about. A meaningful software should be able to map over any collection in any possible way, without touching it at all, and not the other way around, to modify your collection to fit whatever software. But then again, you can’t be serious about collecting Tidal or Qobuz streams (where all roon’s efforts goes these days).

Yes, completely serious. That is certainly my number one focus. I am totally onboard with roon as far as that is concerned and totally get what they are trying to do with streaming integration. My second focus is reviving my physical media. I have a 45 year old library of Vinyl, cassettes and CD’s and SACD’s that I never turned into landfill. So I will soon be introducing a hybrid SACD/CD USB streamer into my music system as soon as all the lock-downs are lifted.

It is only my number three focus that is a large local digital library I accumulated over 20 years. With that, roon for me personally is now “good enough”. That is not going to suit everyone. Mostly, I just accept the current limitations of personal digital music library management although I certainly would like to see some major step change improvements. I just really don’t see that happening, or any conceivable reason why there would be a business case.

1 Like

Though I have absolutely nothing against streaming and it’s now a (small) part of my overall music enjoyment and experience, streaming and collecting are two words which simply don’t work together at all.

You can technically add all the albums from a streaming service to show up in your library if you want (via roon or whatever) but this has nothing to do with collecting, even less with being serious about collecting. They’ll never be yours and they’ll never be there to stay, as the content is shifting all the time in any way that fits the streaming company, hence the serious part. It’s just a very serious illusion.

“Roon understands your content” - this statement is still on the roon’s site home page. Well, you don’t even need to goo so deep as a classical collection to get that it doesn’t (just search for boxsets and other issues people are trying to resolve one way or another).

1 Like

I respect your deep attachment to “collecting” even if I don’t understand it. Chill and stay safe @occasionallyhere. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

That’s not very realistic. There are countless inter-connected media companies involved. Mapping the data models of even three of them requires that all three agree. Good luck with that.

But if we are talking about a global industry then we are talking about mapping the data models of tens of thousands, if not millions of media organizations and that requires international standards and music meta-data is just not important enough. What we have now is probably about as good as it is ever going to be.

No, that’s nonsense. This is music library management. There are no “international standards”. Your choice is which proprietary system suits you.

1 Like

I don’t have any attachment to collecting, I’m not a collector. I have a personal library which I very much enjoy beside many other resources (streaming, internet radio and so on). I just don’t confuse adding a Tidal album to my roon (or whatever) interfaced library as collecting or actually belonging to my library, because it doesn’t.

And it is very possible to make some sense (or at least to try) in all that nonsense, and to somehow “standardize” the non-standards, given the interest: https://music.highmossergate.co.uk/symphony/tagging/classical-extras/

International Standards ??? There are none

There are 3 big Metadata sources

AllMuisc (Rovi)
MusicBrainz
Discogs

they all use a different format for the Work Part. Roon uses (as far as I know 1 &2)

Checkout a big Philips Box Set like Brendel , the Work : Part standards vary by disc , some use a colon, some a semi-colon, some a hyphen some a space. (I am currently doing an exercise of splitting off Movement / Part names on some of my library its a nightmare)

Checkout DGG , they normally don’t even populate the Composer tag. By the format of your Composers you look to be using MusiCHI , you must have seen this in your tagging ?

Quite often Composer appears as Artist and the “Artist/Player” as Album Artist BUT not always

I could go on , simply there are NO STANDARDS ,

Roon does a fair job of sifting through this mess to get a match

You could try SongKong , it does a mathematical match based on track timings to derive a Acoustic ID (correct me @paultaylor)

Finally if your “albums” have been separated out from a Box Set , they are often NOT the release of that CD when first released so Roon will miss a match . Eg Brendel Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 has an extra track in the box set.

If they are box sets leave them as box sets Roon may well match then

Keeping Composers to Beethoven, Bach without , Ludwig etc helps

Keeping artists to Alfred Brendel not Brendel, Alfred helps.

Maybe introduce a ComposerSort tag = Beethoven, Ludwig (17xx-18yy) and copy Composer to it then Rename Composer to Ludwig van Beethoven, similarly ArtistSort.

There is plenty of tagging software that will do this in seconds.

This is a minefield , but one that pays off with a little effort.

Without some effort Roon will not produce the polished result it is capable of.

No Offence Meant just advise from 3 years of “persuading Roon”

PS I use Roon for 99% of my Classical listening with no issues …

I’m off to listen :star_struck:

3 Likes

The metadata of your ripped CDs is certainly not properly taken care of when ripping

Collectors and listeners are perhaps two different things. (Although their paths cross at times)
One can still collect and document along side streaming and listening but you may need two options to make that work, Roon for listening and whatever for cataloging.

I don’t think the perfect solution exist. Did I see your tags were in German? Would changing the Roon language to German help? Probably not. It’s a long three to double check this stuff.

Being from Europe, I am in the same boat as @bbrip All my composers and artists are in the Beethoven, Ludwig van form, as I would like them to sort alphabetically in Windows Explorer, Foobar, jRiver etc.
I can totally accept that Roon expects a certain way of tagging. And I would be happy to change my tags, if I didn’t have to go get the correct metadata strings from allmusic copy / pasting line by line. That is not a comforting outlook and will keep me busy for the next 10 years.
A way out might be the following. I am assuming Roon does have a consistent object model (based on allmusic / Tivo) behing the glossy surface. Why not give the user a “works chooser” which allows him to select a number of tracks and manually select the correct work from Roon’s object database. Roon would then populate the PART and WORK tags accordingly.
Now THAT would solve most of the problem in my view, including strangely spelled Russian composers.
I have suggested this in another thread, but never got a response.

3 Likes

You bet! They are based on a standard: My Own. That makes them instantly sorted properly, recognizable and searchable, without the need of a monstrous database.

As Roon does not understand the most simple basics (Symphony = Sinfonie, Beethoven, Ludwig van = Ludwig van Beethoven) its incabable of interpreting these standards and tries to copy and paste from non-standardized metadata sources - and fails.

Doesnt help to translate the user interface to other languages of the content is all english anyway. You get a multilangual mash at the end.

That actually sounds like a constructive idea but if there is even a little work involved I cannot see it happening. I have the feeling that these metadata issues are only important to a tiny handful, most of whom you probably know because they post on this forum (maybe this thread). Personally, I have many more “unidentified” compositions than I have unidentified albums. And of those most are unidentified streamed compositions rather than unidentified local compositions.

The issue is indeed with the unidentified compositions. I have no issue manually identifying an album which Roon does not find on its own. My problem is more with albums whose metadata is just abysmal and inconsistent, such as the Richter-Haaser Beethoven Sonatas discussed here

As Roon is unlikely to get the metadata fixed, a work chooser would solve this issue

1 Like

The question is really what information is important. Some tags are very important. Others not at all. Who cares to know the name of the booklet translater or the catering provider?

But then on important things Roon messes up. In my Schubert collection I want to see “pure” Schubert. Now I am getting all those mediocre piano arrangements from a guy called Franz Liszt listed under Schubert… What??

Here Roon gets it completely wrong. It may list the Booklet translater and second fiddler correct, but misses on the important stuff.

I had language set to German, but changed back to english. I hate getting bits in German (interface) and bits in English (content).

That is interesting. I’m not a “collector” in the sense of rare masters and release dates etc. so I haven’t really thought of the options that way. My main motivation for having a large library is surprises on “shuffle”. But TBH I am not sure I really use roon as a player in the way it seems important to other posters either. I certainly like roon for ease of connectivity, background listening and discovery. But a lot of the time when I know what I want to listen to, I instinctively reach for windows explorer because roon search is so awkward and then the easiest thing is right click to foobar. I cannot really hear the differences between players or high rez any more so I am not using foobar because I somehow “hear” a difference. I don’t.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help you, you can change the name of composers to your liking so that they are treated in the same way as you provided your own metadata

1 Like