ROON Is Slow Since 1.6

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini c quad core i7 c 16gb ram and 500gb ssd ethernet to ultrarendu usb to oppo 205 rca to onkyo receiver in pure audio mode. I have a thunderbolt drive that is 4 GB connected to the Mac Mini via thunderbolt cable. That drives stores all of my ripped and downloaded files.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple time machine\router on ethernet no switches all connections described are less than 1m. Ethernet is fiber optic capped at 100mps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

See above ultrarendu to oppo 205

Description Of Issue

Since 1.6 (on 401) search is it been very slow. As described by other users it occasionally starts off fast and slows down. A reboot of the core fixes things temporarily. As of 1700 to present Central daylight time things have been slow again. Searches are taking 10 to 15 seconds and trying to add titles to my library fail multiple times. Usually by the third or fourth time I click add to library it finally Gets added. Playback seems to be fine most of the time and I am up sampling without a problem. I have both Tidal and Qobuz and my current total library of hd and virtual tracks has over 215,000 tracks.
Gets added. Play back seems to be fine most of the time and I am up sampling without a problem. I have both title and yo buzz in my current total library has over 215,000 tracks. Thanks
Doug

1 Like

Hi @Douglasmaurer — Thanks for reaching out!

Can you provide some examples of content you’re searching for and how long the searches take?

The next time this occurs, please make a note of the time it fails and the content that you’re trying to add. Respond here with that time, your time zone, and information about what you’re adding (where it’s from, the name of the album) and we can enable diagnostics on your account so the team can take a closer look.

Hi Dylan! thanks for the prompt response! You guys are awesome. I was able to trigger the slowdown again tonight between nine and 915 Central daylight Time. Initially I was doing a bunch of classical music searching then started jumping around from Jenny Lewis to Rilo Kiley and finally death cab for cutie. Definitely slowed way down and wouldn’t even show the albums I have in my library from death cab for about 15 or so seconds. Then I tried to play the album Transatlanticism and it took about 20 seconds or so for the first track to start playing. This seems to be the pattern I’ve been having since the update where things initially are snappy and the more I poke around and search and jump from artist to artist eventually things crawl. Typically it is the searching and loading the results that takes the longest that occasionally playback will take a hit too. Feel free to open up any diagnostics on my account that you need to.
Thanks
Doug

Thanks @Douglasmaurer,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

OK thanks! Much appreciated. I am out of town for a few days but will fire up the core when I get back into town and see what the diagnostic show.
D

Thanks, @Douglasmaurer. Just let me know when you’re back and have fired up Roon and I’ll check for the diagnostics report.

OK I am home now! I have fired up roon and it is hit or miss at the moment. Be curious what you see on diagnostics.
Thanks!
Doug

Thanks, @Douglasmaurer — The diagnostics have been enabled.

Moving forward, the next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

Thanks Dylan!
Here u go, testing performed at 1850 CDT

1. Upload: 12.85Mb/s, download: 7.68 Mb/s; latency 79msec roundtrip; jitter: 187msec…yikes?! Not sure how that is different from the traditional Internet speed test but when I do the Internet speed test called Speedtest I get very different results Showing 43 mbps down and 19.5 mbps up, ping of 51ms, jitter 4.5ms
  2. Open Overview page. 4 secs counting “an error occurred message”
  3. Open Discover page. 3 secs
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”. 15secs!1
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page. 3 secs, 7 to load everything
  6. Open the “Help!” album page. 1 sec
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?). 5 secs
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”. 12 secs
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page. 3 secs, 6 to load everything
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page. 1 sec
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”. 4 secs

Thanks for running the tests, @Douglasmaurer!

I’ve updated your ticket with the results above and have passed it along to the technical team for their ongoing investigation. This will be a great data point for them to better understand why certain configurations are experiencing this behavior.

Investigating these types of issues can take some time, but rest assured that it is a top priority for us, and I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I’ve received further feedback from the team.

OK thanks! It is 2110 Central daylight time and this is the worst behavior I’ve seen with the software ever. At this point it is not playing any track all the way through it is clearly trying. Searches are taking 30 to 45 seconds or simply not completing. Music is starting and stopping randomly. I have rebooted the server twice without any improvement. I don’t know what is wrong but I’ve never seen it act this way since upgrading the 1.6.

Hi @Douglasmaurer,

I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.

You can read the full release notes here:

Things are definitely better after that update. Much snappier than before and so far no major slowdowns. The only issue I continued to seem to have is the delay in getting new material into my library when I click on add to library. I still have to frequently click on it to to three times before it takes. Otherwise great work appreciate all the hard work you do to make the software better.
Thanks
Doug

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.