Roon jumping randomly when streaming music from Tidal [See Staff Post]

Two more albums playing good and from Quebec city !!! Thank you!

1 Like

Re-started my Roon core 2 times in a row and played the most problematic track I had previously found and posted about here. Played the whole song without a glitch. Don’t have time to test more extensively tonight but will do so tomorrow morning.

Looks promising. Keeping fingers crossed. Many thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Thanks to Brian and the team!
I played 5 track’s, no jumping around.

Re-started my Roon core twice as per Brian’s instructions. Taylor’s version “I Knew You Were Trouble” has just played without issue … the first time in 5 days. I will continue to monitor this …

Good work guyz and fingers crossed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A post was split to a new topic: Tidal & qobuz too many failures, stopping playback

By the way, what does this sentence mean practically? In what sense Tidal is not using the “complete original FLAC files”? How it does make a difference for us, listeners if there is any difference? Or is it just a kind of “housekeeping”, because of the metadata and general usage data?

Two restarts, works fine so far. Thanks for working hard to get I music back.

Ok 2 albums in today so far with NO jumping or skipping. In the good ole Indiana, USA! Thanks for the update!

I’m in Philadelphia and never experienced the problem.

I’m writing here only to express my thanks to the team at Roon for working this issue and developing a short and long term solution.

I work in IT, and this type of problem is really, really hard to resolve. First, you need to reproduce it, which was tough here if you weren’t in Eastern Canada or another place served by problematic Amazon Cloud servers. Then, you need to fix it, which is REALLY tough because the problem is the poor quality data from Tidal via Amazon Cloud.

Well done, Roon Team! (Time to reboot my ROCK twice :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Roon core re-started 2 times. I am now one hour into a playlist that shuffles three albums where tracks used to skip consistently. So far, it’s good here in New Jersey – no skips at all. Let’s hope it continues.

Thank you for your efforts to fix this!

Hi Brian,

I have restarted my core twice and everything’s working very good !

Thanks a lot !

In an effort to give Brian a weekend off I’ll jump in on this one.

The primary difference is that we attempt to download the entire flac file from TIDAL before playback starts. Tidal’s own app (and most other streaming players) only buffer a small percentage of the file in memory and rely on TIDAL’s servers to deliver the next chunk of data in time. From an audio standpoint there is no difference between the two methods as long as the playback buffer never runs out of data (which is clearly audible – playback stops). From a convenience and user experience standpoint there is a benefit to having the entire file both in terms of resiliency when there’s a poor internet connection and ability to quickly seek within a file without having to wait to fetch more data.

4 Likes

@brian

Did the 2 times Roon reboot this morning at 10:35 AST and have been playing skip and problem free for an hour. The fix seems to have worked for me. Thanks for all of the problem solving. It sounds like it was a tough one.

1 Like

Same problem here since some time.
Location Belgium
Regards,
Johan

Perhaps it helps…: i do use tags; select a tag; select album; select track, play one two; going up to tag; select other album; track; going up; select album; select track → BOOM, roon says tidal do not have the title available; after that you cant select any other album/ track, always the same error message. After a while it is working ok.

Thank you very much this is what I thought.
Apple Music does something similar, they buffer 3-4 minutes as I realized it.

Rebooted the core twice and now getting skip-free music. I am from Montreal, QC. Thanks to all of the Roon support team working on this issue. Was not easy to resolve, but you guys did it!

1 Like

I can confirm after extensively listening this morning. No problems whatsoever! Fingers uncrossed now :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

The Roon team rocks!
I’ve been enjoying skip-free music for over an hour!

I know this was a complex and somewhat isolated problem to track down, but the dedication and tireless effort all of you put in to get this fixed is very much appreciated.

@brian I’d also like to thank you for taking the time to write up the very detailed technical discussion. I’m very fascinated with all this and the people like you and your team that can make it all happen.

Thank you all and have a great weekend!

Sorry, but I still have a problem:

Yesterday (Saturday), I followed instructions and restarted core twice. Still had skipping on virtually every song after the restarts. Proceeded to use Tidal app with no issues at all.

Today (Sunday) I tried again (no restarts) and magically same album (Beastie Boys, License to Ill) played the first 6 songs with no issues. Then the problem started again. A bit different this time as instead of skipping, the songs would randomly pause. Happened many times for several songs in a row. Finally gave up and used Tidal app. This worked flawlessly. So it seems that for me the problem has changed a little (from skipping to pausing).

I am located in Denmark.

Peter