Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

The latest build upgrade was the same pattern for me. For a couple of days after the upgrade the problem appeared to be fixed.

Then it just reverted back to the same old same old. Crashing all the time.

Something about any build upgrade seems to result in a temporary improvement.

1 Like

I am on the Early Access, build 1254, and have not had any crashes or freezes since that update 19 days ago.

There have been periods over the last year when I didn’t have a crash for a week or two, but for the last few months crashes have been regular until this build, so this looks very promising. I’ve been minimising the Roon window and not seeing any freezing on maximising and no crashes when waking up the PC from sleep, which has been a regular occurrence for me.

I am now going to update to Early Access build 1257 and let that run for a while – hopefully this clean run will continue.

1 Like

The new build, even with a migration to the new .NET framework, has not fixed this issue.

I didn’t even get the usual couple of days of grace where the problem was less frequent.

@support do you think you could contribute to this thread with an update about this? It’s been months since you’ve added anything here and I fear that your dev teams have just given up on this problem which is basic functionality of the tool, which really should be fixed.

6 Likes

This whole thread is one big disgrace. With this new version with upgraded .NET, Roon is acting worse than ever regarding freezes.

no freezes for me, last week. i had that troubles for 6 months.

Original poster here - nearly 12 months after I originally created this thread and it is STILL happening. Currently on Windows 11, all drivers updated etc. etc. Multiple times a day

What a joke Roon is, and the fact I get charged yearly for this product astounds me. Will not be recommending and just switching back to Tidal which is a stable product at least.

So disappointing

6 Likes

Hi @Ryan_Hodgson

Just curious if you’re still using the same tablet/laptop for Roon.

The specs may not quite be enough for Roon and Windows. I experienced this on a cheap NUC type device. I did however find Roon Rock on it gave a better return in performance.

I would now though only advise to stick with the requirements that Roon suggest to get an issue free performance.

Do you have another computer you could try Roon Rock or even Roon Server for Linux on say Ubuntu Server or desktop?

Roon is good, but as I have experienced a limited spec computer doesn’t give you a good experience.

Regards

Lewis

Seems likely that at least one of the other posters here isn’t running Roon on a laptop.

My own core is a Ryzen 9 3900XT with 8GB of RAM, running linux. My remotes are a ryzen 3800X with 32GB of RAM and an i5-1240P laptop. I see this bug on both remotes.

If you read a few hundred posts back here you’ll see that Roon reproduced this themselves at one point - I’d assume they weren’t using a below spec system in their own testing.

I love using Roon but have to say I’ve never had a product this buggy in my life. Two steps forward, one step backwards it seems with each new release. Problems I thought I had resolved reappear with new features I don’t care about. This is one of the biggest ones - use Roon on my office Windows machine and crashes multiple times a day. Been going on forever. Can’t believe this is not being addressed. Very disappointing.

5 Likes

Subscription cancelled, bye bye Roon, bye bye multiple crashes per day. Disappointing as I love the product but lack of stability and technical support to a problem this widespread is sad. @RoonFAQ @mike @roon labs

1 Like

Agreed. An update on this would be great, please. It is still a thing that hits a significant number of users.

Latest crash report from my Event Viewer is pasted below:

BODY{font:x-small ‘Verdana’;margin-right:1.5em} .c{cursor:hand} .b{color:red;font-family:‘Courier New’;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none} .e{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .k{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .t{color:#990000} .xt{color:#990099} .ns{color:red} .dt{color:green} .m{color:blue} .tx{font-weight:bold} .db{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;border-left:1px solid #CCCCCC;font:small Courier} .di{font:small Courier} .d{color:blue} .pi{color:blue} .cb{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;font:small Courier;color:#888888} .ci{font:small Courier;color:#888888} PRE{margin:0px;display:inline}

-

-

0x80000000000000

Application

StudyDesktop

-

Roon.exe

33b4

01d990aaaeb78181

C:\Users\benet\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe

925468e7-8bfa-4fb3-a6d0-4bab70e32003

Top level window is idle

54006F00700020006C006500760065006C002000770069006E0064006F0077002000690073002000690064006C00650000000000

1 Like

As someone who has been impacted by this problem for over one year, I am posting this as a public service announcement. It HAS BEEN MENTIONED upthread, but I am surfacing it again here.

I run on Windows 10, but the same thing can be done in Windows 11. Essentially, if you run the Roon client in it’s own separate Desktop with the application maximized the problem essentially goes away.

So… what I do is have Roon run automatically at startup of the machine so it is sitting in Desktop 1. Then the very first thing I do, is use the keyboard combination CTRL-Windowskey-Right Arrow (press them all three at once.) This will move you to Desktop 2 and the Roon icon will no longer show on your taskbar. Now use your PC as normal for doing whatever you need to do with it on Desktop 2. When you need to use the Roon Client, switch back to Desktop 1 using CTRL-Windowskey-Left Arrow, use it, then go back again to Desktop 2.

By doing this I have been more or less problem free for several months now. Is this ideal? IT IS NOT. Does it at least get rid of most of the frustrations with this serious problem? It does for me at least.

I hope this helps some others with this longstanding problem.

3 Likes

That’s a workaround, not a fix.

It masks the problem yes - you’re correct - but it’s not a limitation I wish to accept with this or any software. I want it fixed.

Don’t be an apologist for buggy code - you and I pay for it, you and I should expect better.

3 Likes

I am not being an apologist. I am frankly mystified that Roon has let this problem fester for more than a year which clearly significantly impacts some non-trivial portion of their userbase with hardly a peep from support. It’s appallingly poor customer support. Roon needs to fix this so we can use the application just like any other Windows program.

However, as I see it those of us massively impacted by this failure by Roon have three choices: 1) suffer the repeated crashes while optionally complaining about them until (if it ever happens) Roon fixes the problem, 2) stop using Roon and shift to some other application that works, or 3) try to find a workaround in the the interim. I took option 1 for the better part of 8 months until I gave up hope that the problem would be addressed. Now, I’ve chosen to do move on to option 3 as I paid for a lifetime subscription before this problem started and I do enjoy the Roon functionality when it works. If there are others in the same position as myself, this workaround may help them.

6 Likes

Running Roon in a Window works for me. It’s a very easy “work around.” If Roon knew how to fix this problem, they would.

EDIT: Roon in a window disappears when you are doing other things. No clutter and it does not freeze.

I agree with Christian, putting Roon on a secondary desktop works better, imho, for people who don’t want the windows cluttering up things while doing other work. I’ll repost myself from upthread…

You might try the secondary desktop workaround. Setup a secondary desktop, run the Roon app on the secondary desktop and don’t minimize it. Switch back to main desktop, and switch to other desktop when you want to control Roon and switch back when you don’t.

MS Windows 11 how-to setup virtual desktops

To switch between virtual desktops on Win 11, open the Task View pane and click on the desktop you want to switch to. You can also quickly switch desktops without going into the Task View pane by using the keyboard shortcuts Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow or Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow .

While I set this up a long time ago, I have come to prefer keeping it on the second desktop as I find i the long run it is easier to switch than to minimize/maximize, since it can be done via quick key strokes.

There’s a 4th option, select a different operating system.

Edit: I absolutely consider this to be a valid 4th option. When there was lagging (read years) progress on the .Net memory issues that were presenting themselves on various flavors of Linux I decided that the best option available to me was to change operating system. I decided to go with Roon OS and I successfully used that for over a year. Then there was a release that addressed the issues that I had been experiencing so I returned to my preferred option. I am currently back running on Debian. This is not an off-topic reply to Christian’s response.

However, switching OS on the server end has limited impact on daily life. Switching your desktop to a different OS is a huge step

I had my laptop upgrade from win10 to win11, at the same time I updated roon to build 1277. Seems to be stable for a day without freezeing.
I am not sure which move has fixed it.
Anyway, let’s see if it will happen again.

The newest build has made no difference to this issue for me.

Unsure why this thread has been marked “Partially Solved”. It’s not. There are some workarounds, not solutions.

3 Likes