Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

okay, it was fine for a day, not the second day. It happens again.

The tactics of Roon seems to work in this topic. Never react and it will die in the end. People (like me) are so frustrated that they stop replying. Congratulations Roon…!

3 Likes

I rest my case!

1 Like

There’s a promising looking fix in the early access build that came out yesterday:

• Fixed an issue with .NET framework WindowsDriveDetector that can cause UI hangs

@support do you know if that’s the fix for this?

1 Like

Hi All,

I wanted to give you an update on this issue. In our latest Early Access release this week, we included a fix for a specific .NET error that could be causing hangs, as we observed in one user’s earlier logs on in this thread:

A few Roon builds ago, we have also added a limit on the amount of time that Roon can spend on drawing certain UI elements, to try to prevent these kinds of hangs.

A positive side-effect of the UI time limit means that you may have noticed an improvement a few releases ago and are now getting temporary hangs instead of full UI lockups.

As we continue to track and investigate this issue, we are curious to know if you are seeing any improvement in this behavior following the Early Access release.

If you would like to give Early Access a try, please see the below instructions & release notes:

Thanks everyone!

7 Likes

Good to hear from you @noris!

I had noted back in April that I had seen improvement since early access build 1254. It was only the last build or two that I’ve had one or two crashes, but for the most part hangs resolve if left, sometimes quickly (10-15 seconds), sometimes not (many minutes).

I’ll keep a closer eye now that specific fixes are being attempted and report back.

1 Like

Well let me be the first to report that the early access build has fixed it for me! I’ve had this issue daily for well over a year and the difference is night and day. Thanks for getting to the bottom of this one, it was so frustrating.

2 Likes

Less UI freezes last week, maybe none.

Worth mentioning.

build 1300

1 Like

Same issue here.
Any update?

Trying early access build a few posts above.
Will report back…

So far no freezes on early build.

1 Like

Since I updated to the latest build with the potential fix for this issue, I’ve not experienced any problems with the client hanging. That’s 48 hours - much longer than I’ve managed without a crash for nearly 18 months.

I’ll reserve full judgement until this has been working for a week or so as I’ve had false dawns before, but this fix certainly looks promising.

2 Likes

First impression is indeed that the latest build may have fixed this problem. Wouldn’t it be nice if the next build gives us the information of the played number in the minimized display of the app in the taskbar, as most media players do!

1 Like

No UI freezes last weeks.

1 Like

Yep, this is definitely fixed for me as well. No crashes for the last 3 weeks with consistent daily use on the desktop.

Good news!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon Server 1272 on Windows 11, Intermittent High CPU / Memory

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.