Roon keeps losing connection to ROCK NUC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC5i3RYK, ROCK version 1.0, build 175; Server version 1.6 build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus router, Linksys ethernet hubs, ROCK on ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Music files stored on USB drive connected to ROCK NUC; to HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro via ethernet; to Musical Fidelity V90 DAC via SPDIF coax

Description Of Issue

Most of the time, the screen on any remote device (Android tablet, Android phone, windows laptop) just shows the Roon logo (as if it is trying to connect); after a few minutes, it connects and it shows my last view (all tracks); but that only lasts a second or so, and it then goes to the “Lost Connection!” screen; it stays there for a few seconds, then it goes back to the “thinking” Roon logo. It has been on this loop for an hour or so, now. I’ve tried rebooting everything, reinstalling the operating system on the NUC. I’m out of ideas.

I stared at the Choose Your Roon Core screen for a while. The ROCK NUC was there, with a green “ready” light. Every minute or so, it would change to yellow/orange “connecting” and would quickly reconnect. I assume this has something to do with it.

Hi @Antonio_Bendezu,

Can you verify the exact models here?

Can you access the Web UI?

ROCK NUC connected to Linksys SE3005 switch. Yes, I can access the Web UI, and it reports everything is fine.

I disconnected the USB drive, and the behavior stopped. However, even while the behavior was ongoing, I could navigate to the ROCK NUC, and into the USB drive, and throughout my music collection. There appears to be nothing wrong with the USB drive.

Hi @Antonio_Bendezu,

Can you remember what albums you recently added to this USB drive? If you move them off of the drive do things work with it connected?

I’ll investigate that, but I need to know if you’re worried about malicious code.

I removed all music that was added since mid-July. Then I rebooted the ROCK NUC, reinstalled the Roon firmware, and rebooted the ROCK NUC again. I also uninstalled Roon from my desktop, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, rebooted, and reinstalled Roon on the desktop. Same behavior persists.

Perhaps load an older Roon backup? The anomaly started this afternoon, and I had been listening to Roon all morning.

Tried to reinstall ROCK from a USB drive, but the F10 key didn’t do anything. How can I get my NUC back from Roon?

Do you have the Fast Boot BIOS ooption turned on?

I doubt it. I can’t get into the BIOS. ROCK won’t allow it.

Sure, it will. BIOS comes before any OS bootup. You hit the F2 key during the bootup sequence. If that doesn’t work, then, you probably have FastBoot turned on which can prevent that. In that case, try reviewing Intel’s suggestions.

Hi @Rugby,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

After doing all the above-described stuff, I managed to restore a previous backup. That seemed to work, but I was unable to stick around to see if my library and server remained connected for long, because it was late on Saturday night/early on Sunday morning, and I was away all Sunday. This morning, the problem appears to have returned.

Time of error: 9:36 am US Mountain Time.

Thanks, @Antonio_Bendezu — I’ve enabled diagnostics and will report back as soon as I’ve received feedback from the team.

Hi @Antonio_Bendezu,

Can you try removing the following file from your watched folder and let us know if the same behavior occurs:

Music/Various/Marston Records/Lotte Lehmann - Acoustic Recordings 1914-1926 (2017) [CD FLAC] {54006-2}/Disc 2/15 - DIE WALKÜRE - Der Männer Sippe.flac

I removed the file. The problem persists. 3:00 pm. and 3:01 pm.

Thanks, @Antonio_Bendezu.

I’ve enabled diagnostics once more and will respond ASAP once I have the team’s feedback.

Hi @Antonio_Bendezu,

If you disconnect the USB drive where your media is located, are you able to connect and use Roon properly?

Yes, but there’s not much use to it, since there’s no music to play then. I also tried every other USB port on the NUC, but that didn’t help. Also, I got the same behavior when I migrated my core to my desktop pc and pointed Roon to the music folder there, so I doubt that it’s a problem with the USB drive. That music folder in the desktop drive is the “original” music folder: I add music there, and Synology software syncs that folder to a music folder on my NAS (used only as a backup for the music files); I manually use a syncing app on the desktop to sync the NUC music folder to the desktop folder. At the time the behavior started I had several albums on the desktop folder that I hadn’t added to the NUC folder yet.

Hi @Antonio_Bendezu,

With the USB drive disconnected, navigate to Settings | Library and turn Background Audio Analysis Speed and On-Demand Audio Analysis Speed to Off. Once you do so, connect the USB drive once more. After doing this are you experiencing the same issue?