Roon keeps "losing" Google Chromecast - have to restart server

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP ts-473

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mostly ethernet, but this Chromecast is wi-fi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos AMP in this case…

Description Of Issue

I have a Chromecast attached to my TV purely as a display for the above mentioned Sonos AMP. (I have one of those LG TVs where the browser won’t work as a display so Chromecast was the solution). It works really well, but during the last week each time I’ve streamed something to the AMP the chromecast has “disappeared”. I.e. the device isn’t visible in settings, and the little display icon isn’t present when controlling the zone.

A stop/start of the roon server on the NAS immediately fixes the problem, everything re-appears. but I’ve had to do this 4 times in the last week so its a PITA as obviously playback in all zones is stopped when I have to do this.

I’ve given the chromecast a fixed IP address at the router (as that has solved the issue of disppearing things on a number of other devices) but it doesn’t seem to have helped in this case.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I don’t know if its relevant but I just had this issue setting up one for the first time. I wound up doing a reset on the chromecast and resetting up wifi and it has worked ever since. There is a reset button on the device itself and I used google home to reset wifi. I’d ask a simple question of your wifi connectivity on other devices at the same location (your phone for instance) or if you can observe wifi connectivity on your router or get its log to confirm wifi issues. I’d just reset the chromecast to begin with.

Hi @Dave_Kitson,

Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your router, and any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters you are using in this setup? Some router brands need specific configurations set, which we have outlined at the end of our Networking Best Practices Guide. I would also try a reset of the Chromecast as Louis has noted to see if it helps with the issue.

The router is a TP-Link VR2800 connected to the rest of the network via a patch panel and Netgear switch.

The strange thing is that when the problem occurs, the Chromecast still seems to be connected to the network, its just that Roon can’t see it until I restart the server.

Now, that said, it hasn’t done it since I posted this yesterday, but next time it happens I’ll try the reset as you and @ Louis_Casadonte have suggested. Thanks.

1 Like

Small update!

It did it again just now and instead of restarting the Roon server, I this time rebooted the Chromecast (via the iPad app) and as soon as it came back up Roon could see it just fine and its working again.

So, I’m not sure what this teaches me, lol. It appears that a restart of either end resolves the problem, but I’d be happier if I didn’t have to restart anything if anyone has any ideas…

That said - it might stay up now - let’s see!

Hi @Dave_Kitson,

Thanks for the update!

I would also double check that your Chromecast and router firmware are up to date, as there may be some improvements in that area if this issue still occurs after rebooting just the Chromecast.

You can also try the factory reset as mentioned, I would be interested to hear if this helps as well.

Well, it did it again so I’ve done the factory reset and set everything up again from scratch - restarted the Roon server as all I was seeing wa steh Roon logo at first…

Let’s see what happens.

I have the same problem with all my Chromecast devices. I have three Chromecast Audio, and two HDMI Chromecasts and Roon keep losing them all at the same time. They work fine with other apps, so the problem has to be in Roon.

I would agree, except for the fact that a reboot of the Chromecast results in Roon seeing it again in my case! That suggests that Roon is “listening”, but the Chromecast ain’t talking maybe?

But of course the reverse is true - i.e. a restart of Roon and it can see it again too.

Like yourself, I can still connect to the Chromecast and Roon whilst the problem is happening, they just aren’t talking to each other for some reason.

So I’m stumped.

Hi @Dave_Kitson,

I wanted to check in with you to see if this behavior is still occurring after factory-resetting the Chromecast unit.

If the behavior is still ongoing, I suspect that what is going on here is that multicast is not being properly passed through your router. There are a few further suggestions that may help with this issue, such as toggling “IGMP Proxing” and/or “IGMP Snooping” if your router supports these features.

Can you let me know if the factory reset has helped, and if not possibly try one of those settings to see if it helps?

Hi Noris,

Since resetting the Chromecast via the iPad app - the problem hasn’t surfaced again. Thanks for the suggestions all.

1 Like

Hi @Dave_Kitson,

Thanks for the update here, and glad to hear that the issue has stopped occurring since factory resetting the Chromecast units! I am going to mark this thread as [Solved] but if the behavior returns do let us know and we can take a closer look.

@Greeferd - You may want to try factory resetting your units as well to see if it will help. If it doesn’t can you please open up a separate support thread, outlining your Roon setup details and we can take a closer look there?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.