Roon keeps searching for Core after Win10 wakes up from Sleep

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 PC.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Google Wifi Mesh router (the original one, not the new one).
Wired connection for the core.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
@noris & @W_Elder - though this thread is a few months old I have the exact same problem so thought I’d continue it rather than start a new one. I searched the board for other posts and didn’t see anything, but if I missed one feel free to point me to it

I can still use the Roon Core directly on the Windows 10 PC and everything works well, but Roon Remotes on devices can’t connect to it (I’ve tried multiple devices).

If I close the Roon core and restart it, everything works fine.

It’s possible that this is related to Windows 10 waking from sleep, though it’s just a guess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Vog

Hi @Vog,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic and added in the support headers into your post.

Hi @Vog,

When you close the Roon Core and restart, are you just closing the Roon App or are you restarting the entire machine to re-establish connectivity?

Is there any change in behavior if you try setting Reserved IP addresses for both the Core and the Roon Remotes? Maybe the Core is getting a new IP when it wakes up from sleep?

Hi @noris. Thanks for the quick response.

Answers to your questions:

1. I’m just closing the Roon App and relaunching it. No reboot.

2. The IP for that Windows 10 machine is already reserved, as was the address for one of the Roon Remote devices that didn’t work. Thanks for the idea, though.

Vog

More to report…

1. It’s not related to Sleep, as it happened again just now (later in the day) and the Roon Core machine doesn’t go to sleep except at night. I checked just to make sure, and it has not gone to sleep since the last “close the Roon core app and run it again” that I reported earlier today.

2. A different Windows 10 machine in the house is able to connect as a Roon Remote even while other devices can’t. So the two Android devices I checked on are both “waiting for Remote Core” while the Windows 10 connected no problem.

Thanks for the help,

Vog

If you just restart the android devices do they reconnect?

So I may have figured it out, and if my attempted solve is correct it was a network issue on my side and nothing having to do with Roon.

I’ll see if it re-occurs in the next few days, and will report back either way (with the solve for others). Thanks for all the diagnosis help.

Vog

2 Likes

did you remove the network from sleep settings?

It looks like there were two unrelated issues.

1. Sometimes I had a VPN running on one Roon Remote device. When it was active, it was blocking the Roon Remote. That’s fixed.

2. However, a different device that has no VPN on it is intermittent in terms of its ability to access the Roon Core. For example, two mornings ago it couldn’t connect, but then a couple of hours later was able to.

This morning it wasn’t able to connect. I went over the Windows 10 PC that also is a Roon Remote, launched Roon, and it connected fine. Interestingly, the Android Device (which had been continuing to search until that moment) then connected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vog

Hi @Vog,

I would check your IGMP Snooping/Proxying settings on the router. Android devices are a bit more susceptible to multicast issues and we have seen IGMP Snooping/Proxying help with multicast issues in the past.

You could also try clicking on the “Help” on the searching for Core screen and typing in the IP of the Core or the multicast broadcast address of 255.255.255.255 and see if that allows a connection.

1 Like

Thanks @noris.

I have a Google Wifi (v1) which has no IGMP Snooping/Proxying settings that I know of (though let me know if I missed something).

I’ll try the direct IP method and see if that works. Will report back.

Thanks,

Vog

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.