Roon Labs: What's New For August

Brilliant.

(was going to wite a load more but this seems to sum up really)

… and thanks for all the hard work guys

Thanks for the update. I think 1.1 ticks nearly all my boxes. Probably the only other thing I would like is a way to backup the metadata changes that we are going to be allowed to make. I guess that will come later.

Just so I am clear on this.

RoonServer will allow multiple endpoints to run off the RoonServer BUT, using either an Android or iOS remote to control various different endpoints, such as my dedicated computer to my DAC will have to wait until “RoonSpeakers”? If I am correct, then the only way for me to use the computer attached to my DAC being fed by RoonServer would be to Remote to that dedicated computer attached to my DAC?

Great news :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing the various optimisations, tweaks and increased metadata editing capabilities!

Good to know you aren’t going to stop developing when you hit 1.1 :smiley:

Exciting!
Gus

I’m a bit confused by this as well. If the computer attached to the DAC is running RoonServer can it also be the “core” or library managing computer so that it can be controlled by the iOS app? I to would like to run the computer hooked up to my dac using the headless software, but I do not want it to be the core computer yet still want to control it via iOS app. I wonder if this will be a possibility in the future, will the main dac computer be able to run RoonServer and RoonSpeakers?

Thanks for the updates. Good stuff!

Question: with all the new versions coming out (Linus, Rasberry Pi, etc), is the plan to make our subscriptions interchangeable between any and all new versions? I’m a lifetime subscriber and figure i probably have another thirty or forty years, so I hope so! And yes, I know, i should read the fine print.

@robbbby, @Priaptor: RoonServer is just like Roon, except without a UI. You must use Roon running on other machines to to control it.

Some of our users have a dedicated computer with USB connected DACs (or even network Meridian/Airplay DACs), but no monitor attached. This machine lives in a closet, or rack, or someplace that it is rarely touched. It is an infrastructure component in the house.

Right now, they can run Roon on that machine to manage the library, and use Roon as a remote on tablets or PC/Mac running as a remote to connect to the Roon on that dedicated computer.

All RoonServer does is drop the OpenGL requirement for that dedicated computer, and free up any resources that would be used for the graphical interface.

There is no end in sight! We have so much more to do to reach our vision, I feel like we’ve just started. The feature requests on this site area alone could keep us busy for years.

Hi @danny: Just so I understand, 1.1 will still not have RoonSpeakers that can be controlled by other remotes?

I.e, will the following (fairly simple and probably common) case be supported?

1. Roon Core Server on a (high power PC, not headless)
  2. Roon remote on a mac mini attached to the DAC (basically it acts as a renderer and does not do anything else)
  3. iPad Roon remote that can control playback on the Mac Mini (presumably via RoonSpeakers)

Please tell me this will be supported with 1.1

Anil

Hey Anil – this is coming, but won’t quite be ready for 1.1.

In the setup you describe, #2 is really just a network endpoint, and for the moment only Meridian and Airplay endpoints are supported. The next thing big thing we’re working on post-1.1 is RoonSpeakers, which will be exactly what you’re looking for.

We all really want this too, and preliminary work is already starting on RoonSpeakers as we prepare 1.1 for release. We’ll be posting timelines as soon as we can, so stand by!

@mike
Cool, thanks for the prompt reply! Looking forward to the new features (kind of hard to believe that it’s only been 3 months since you guys launched).

Thanks.

Ok that confirms my understanding. So for the immediate future, until RoonSpeakers are available, the RoonServer feature will not help under the setup Anil references.

Thanks

[quote=“danny, post:21, topic:2931”]Squeezebox, RoonSpeakers, Linux … coming AFTER 1.1.
[/quote] I’m hoping Linux isn’t far away now, the wait is killing me

Almost there :smile: Roon 1.1 brings

1. Non GL server product (so I can use the RDC again to my server)
  2. iPad release (unsure if this is to listen to the iPad, or for remote control of a player/network appliance?)

The headless remote “RoonSpeakers” will be the last part of the triad that will make this a killer product, and why I got lifetime from the get-go.

Control of my headless networked audio player (PC with Roon, Auralic Aries, or any of the many Linux Audio Access points) by my main PC with the rich Roon interface, or an iPad with same will be just right in my opinion.

Next up would be comparison of an optimized PC, perhaps with some other interface software - HQPlayer, or JPlay or whatever, being best of class at this time in Computer Audio, which continues to get more fun, and leverage the internet and computing boxes for more musical enjoyment.

Thanks for the heads up, and keep the noses to the grindstone on Aries, and RoonSpeakers please!

remote… there will be no private zone on iPad.

AHH, thanks for bringing this up Danny. There has been some confusion regarding this issue on the forums, with some saying you could use the iPad as an endpoint. I am glad to get the final answer as I would love to have a “remote” that serves as an endpoint as well for my headphone rig so it looks like a Surface 3 is in my future.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Hopefully using an Android tablet as an endpoint will continue to be supported. I found that feature to be very handy over the weekend. That’s too bad it won’t be supported on IOS devices.

Remote is the only way I would be using it. Thanks for the clarification.

So that would allow me to run Roon on a PC used separately for that purpose. This would be a first step to my complete system. Use a dedicated PC at the dac, and control it with the iPad.

Currently, I have the main Roon installation on my headless server, with all the music files, in a closet. I use Roon on my computer with my headphones now. I use another PC in my audio system connected only to ethernet and USB to the DAC. (well I do sometimes, currently there is an Aries there playing from a USB drive)

If I were controlling the audioPC with the iPad controller, would it need the full Roon install, or would the headless version suffice? Of course this will all be simpler with RoonSpeakers, but I don’t mind seeing how I can use what is available, or will be available.