Roon latest update fails to recognize both my external hard drive and external Blueray Drive

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i7-10710U, 16GB Ram (with Roon ROCK installed)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Asus RC-AT68U
Switch: Nuprime Omnia SW-8
Ethernet Cable connected beweeen Router and Switch
Ethernet cable connected between Switch and Intel NUC (with Roon ROCK)

Connected Audio Devices

DAC: Auralic Altair
Ethernet cable connected between DAC and Switch

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Since I updated the Roon, my Roon ROCK has failed to recognize both the external hard drive (WD MyBook 12TB) and the Pioneer BDR-X12J-UHD optical drive. They are connected to my Roon ROCK server and worked fine. Could you please tell me how to get them back on my Roon Server?

Have you rebooted everything?

Yes, I tried robooting several times. As the optical drive and external hard drive are both connected to Roon ROCK Server (Intel NUC) via USB cable, they are rebooted accordingly.

Hi Albert,

In checking your system diagnostics I see that you’re still on Build 952. Can you please update your ROCK Core and remotes and see if that helps? Additionally, please go to Settings>Storage>and ensure that your WD drive is still synced.

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks!

I chose to update all while I started Roon today. Only my Roon Core was updated to Build 970, and my Roon Remote (iPad) was still on Build 952. As to storage setting, my WD Drive and Pioneer BDR-X12J-UHD optical drive are both not available.

Hi @Albert_C.T_Li,

Have you tried disconnecting the external storage drive and disc drive, then reconnecting? Let’s try powering down ROCK, disconnecting the devices, restarting ROCK, allowing Roon to come back online, then reconnecting the drive and the disc drive.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I have tried to disconnecting it and reconnecting after restarting ROCK. Both drives still cannot be “seen” by Roon. When I connect the external hard drive to my PC, Windows recognizes it immediately and I can see the files. I am pretty sure there is someting wrong with my Roon ROCK. Is there any other possible solution?

Hey @Albert_C.T_Li,

Thank you for getting back to me, I’m sorry that you’re still having some issues with the connectivity of those two devices. Do you have backups of your Database that were made before you updated the system? If so can you please restore one of those while the devices are connected and let us know if that helps. You can find more details on restoring backups in this article from our Help Center

I’ll be watching for your response. Thanks!

It turns out to be the USB cable. After many tests, I found that Roon Rock can read my external HD with another cable. I never thought USB cable would be the cause. Anyway, I am happy that Roon Rock is back to normal. Many thanks for your helps and advice.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.