Roon library missing tags and settings after router restart (ref#LMSR74)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I want to report a metadata issue

I'm not sure this fits here, but...
I recently had to restart my router, which changed the IP addresses for my devices (always a pain). When I reconnected my Synoptics music server to my NUC and the Roon client on my Mac, the Roon library was empty. It rebuilt overnight (I have about 17TB of stored music...), but the Tags, etc. that I had set up were not populated. I restored an earlier library, which was on Build 1368, not 1382, which also brought the old IP address and I needed to upgrade the software release and the result was - no Tag population, just as before. I do not have a backup on 1382 that holds the populated library.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Richard

Hi @Richard_Presser,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. Since you have a new IP address you need to update the location to the new IP in settings → storage. First restore your library then edit the previous location of the NAS. Additionally you can set Address Reservation in your router to prevent this from happening again.

Yes, I understand the need to edit the IP address after the restore, but that does not address the problem. The status shared is after that has been done.

How did you set up your network that makes it painful if the router restarts and/or IP addresses change? In most normal setups this should be handled completely transparently by the router and the devices.

17TB seems like a lot of tracks to handle. What are your nuc specs?

Yes, perhaps my router will allow me to lock this to an IP address and I will look at that, but that doesn’t address my problem. Certainly, it will likely prevent its recurrence. My router is a network supplier provided router, so it’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I will look into that when I have resolved my issue.

My thinking was that whatever weird thing is happening in your router and/or network setup that makes a router reboot a pain might well be causing your issue as well.

I don’t have it handy, but I always overspec my hardware. I’ve been around computers for far too long…
And it was working perfectly before the entanglement of the IP address change and a Roon Version upgrade. IMO, this is the issue and I suspect it needs a Roon techie guidance on how to sort this.

I will try and address this, after things are working again…

Daniel, I think you or one of your team need to look more closely at this scenario with me. I believe the coming together of the IP address change and Roon version upgrade are at the root of this. Not exactly a “deadly embrace”, but close enough.
Let me repeat myself. After the router restart, I reset the IP address to the music server and, for some reason, the Library was not showing correctly. I reinstalled the latest copy that I was sure was prior to the router restart, which was the prior Roon version. To my surpise, the reinstall of the library also returned the old IP address for the server, which I again reset, but only after Roon had required me to install the latest Roon version. As I write this, can you tell me if there is an option to not upgrade the Roon version whilst this is resolved? The Roon version on my Mac is also the latest version.
IMO, the issue is this entanglement of having to recover a library from the old Roon version. I’m not sure what role the IP address change is having.

Hi @Richard_Presser,
After consulting with the team we would like to try to reproduce this on our end. Please restore a backup then without relaunching Roon. You can follow these steps:

1. Follow the recovery steps above
  2. Zip up your RoonBackups folder (right-click it and select “Compress…”):
  3. Submit the .zip file to us through our Database Corruption Issues portal

Done as specified. The Roon Backup zip file is currently uploading.

Sorry, it looks like something went wrong with the upload. Can you please try again? Was there any error message when you tried uploading the first time?

Not quite finished uploading. It’s coming from Australia… Just over 30GB.

Literally just finished.

Any update, Daniel? The file should be there for you and until this is looked at, Roon is shut down, ie now music…
Thanks,
Richard

I have re-uploaded the zip file.

I set static IP addresses on the router and the server to the settings previously being used and I have recovered the library. :grinning:

Hi @Richard_Presser,
I’m sorry I missed your replies. I’m glad you were able to retrieve your library. Are there any remaining issues?

1 Like

From what I see, all is good, Daniel.
Thanks,
Richard