Roon loses contact to Merging ASIO driver

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
i7-8700 @3.2 GHz (Windows Server 2019, latest Roon 1.7 (build 537))

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Realtek GbE familiy controller for Ethernet; Intel 82574 Gigabit dedicated network adapter connecting to audio device (Ravenna)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Merging Technologies HAPI (with DAP8 Pro D/A) using dedicated Merging ASIO, connected via Ravenna over Ethernet. Installed as Merging+NADAC audio settings. Using 7.1 output and DSP engine to convolute all channels individually.

Description Of Issue
As already reported in other threads, Roon is ocasionally loosing connection to the ASIO driver. This either happens after start-up and can then be cured by opening audio device installation. It then takes a few seconds to re-discover the ASIO. Then one can cancel and go back to main menu and play.

When it looses the driver, one can press play and it indicates playing, but with no sound output. RTP status in AES67 sink (HAPI) is "0x20 stream has been muted ". Sometimes one needs to re-do the above procedure a few times (enter device install in Roon) to get it up and running.

The fact that this is a bit difficult to trace and occurs randomly makes it hard to attribute it to a specific event. In any case it is annoying.

What do you suggest to do?

Hi @Ralf_Hoellmann,

Could you please note the exact local time + date this behavior next occurs and the time you manage to resolve it by opening audio device setup?

Does this issue occur with any of your other zones or just the Merging is the only one impacted?

Hi Noris,
will get back to you with exact time & date. Yes, it does only occur with the Merging zone.
Regards, Ralf

1 Like

Hi Noris,

today, 09:03 CET this has just happened again. Roon didn’t start playing: The ASIO (RAAT) notification was not launched.

Cheers, Ralf

Thanks for the timestamps @Ralf_Hoellmann. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once these are received, I will request the technical team to review them for further clues.

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi Norris,

today @08:06 CET the problem re-occured. Starting Roon it indicates playing, but then stops after a second. No audio was output.

Rebooting the PC has ressolved the issue.

Regards, Ralf

1 Like

Hi @Ralf_Hoellmann,

Thanks for the additional timestamp, I have noted it with the technical team. The review of your case is still in the queue, so once that’s been complete, we will reach out again, more timestamps are not needed at this time, thanks!

Hello @Ralf_Hoellmann,

We’re having trouble accessing the latest set of logs for your device. Could you use the “Option 2” instructions at the following link to send us diagnostic logs?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Logs

It would be best if you create the support package right after you have encountered the issue as it will make it easier to discover the failure.

-John

Here comes the log-file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G5G5eWMz4ZjfFMZ9nl3i2Sd9xSn2Qp3i

Regards, Ralf

1 Like

Hello @Ralf_Hoellmann,

I spoke with the technical team regarding your logs, they asked if you have reached out to Merging regarding this issue. From the perspective of the Roon logs it appears that Roon is behaving normally.

-John

Hi John,

that’s interesting news, because its Roon that is hanging… And yes, I have already been in touch with Merging. From their side, the driver is correctly configured and works well.

Using JRiver MC instead of Roon isn’t (as good, but) causing this behaviour.

To add one more observation: The error mostly occurs, when Roon has been put into pause and one resumes play after a longer period. Switching to another album does usually restart proper operation. It appears, that Roon goes dormant and doesn’t wake-up properly.

Any idea about this?

Regards, Ralf

Hello @Ralf_Hoellmann,

We’re continuing to investigate this issue on our side, I hope to have more information for you in a few days time. Thanks for your patience!

-John

Hi John,

any update on this subject. It continues to be consistently annoying…

Regards, Ralf

Hello @Ralf_Hoellmann,

Our apologies for the delay, we’re continuing to investigate this issue.

Is the email that you have registered for your Roon account the best contact email? We may reach out to Merging regarding this issue and we would like to be able to include you if necessary.

-John

Hi John,

correct, that’s the email address.

Regards, Ralf

Hi Roon-Support Team,

you can consider the issue being solved! Merging has developed an updated ASIO driver (called MAD) which not only works perfect, but will also provide a range of new features. I had been able to test a RC and its works smoothly with Roon!

Many thanks to you for escalating the subject. And many thanks to the great team @Merging for their relentless search for solutions!

Regards, Ralf

1 Like

That’s fantastic news @Ralf_Hoellmann, thanks for updating us here.
Hope you enjoy :headphones:!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.