Roon loses control of audio device - DEQX HDP-5

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P 2.9GHz Core i5 6GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Computer running Roon v1.7 build 667) 64 bit.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices are connected via Gigabit Ethernet via an unmanaged TP-Link switch to an Asus RT-AX88U. All devices are connected via Gigabit Ethernet using CAT-5e. There are no VLANs and the network is flat running a private class C.

An LG file server containing approximately 2000 MP3 and FLAC files is connected via gig-Ethernet to the TP Link switch and is accessible to Roon as my personal content library.

An android Asus tablet running the Roon application controls the content.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

The Roon Core v1.7 build 667 runs on a Windows 10 Lenovo M92P connected via HDMI (WASAPI) to a Polk Audio Command soundbar and works just fine.

There is a pair of Sonos speakers connected via ethernet and they both work without issue. There is also an older Sonos speaker that is occasionally connected on the back porch via WiFi and it also plays with Roon without issue.

On the main stereo system there is an DEQX HDP-5 Preamplifier connected directly to the Asus router via CAT-5e ethernet. The DEQX is to be used to stream Roon. The DEQX is running the latest versions of firmware and display firmware.

Description Of Issue

The DEQX is identified in Roon and is configured for playback. On the Asus tablet I will select a track to play and it will begin through the DEQX. Often the track will play with random ticks and pops but sometimes not. Ticks and pops are frequent and after a few tracks have been played it is common that ticks and pops will occur unless Roon displays the error Roon Lost Control of the Audio Device. If ticks and pops occur Roon will display the error Roon Lost Control of the Audio Device shortly after the ticks and pops occur. Sometimes ticks and pops do not occur and Roon simply fails and playback ends and Roon displays the error Roon Lost Control of the Audio Device. Forgive me if that level of detail is redundant but in summary Roon will begin playback, frequently ticks and pops in the audio will occur, inevitably playback will abruptly stop and Roon will display the Lost Control of the Audio Device error. This only occurs with the DEQX HDP-5.

If I restart the DEQX with a full power recycle or via the front panel settings the DEQX will be able to play Roon content again for a brief period before the ticks and pops occur or until when Roon again abruptly stops and the Lost Control error is displayed.

I have read similar reports of issues with DEQX on the support community and have attempted recommended fixes found in the forum with no success.

I would like to have logs enabled for debugging.

Thank you for your assistance,

John

1 Like

Hi @John_Wilkinson,

Thanks for reaching out and for the comprehensive report, you included some really great information here!

I can certainly do this, but I would need to know where to look in the logs for the issue. Can you please reproduce the issue and let me know the exact local time + date + track it occurs on?

Is there any pattern to the files triggering this behavior? For example of you only play files of the same sample rate and bitrate, does the issue still reproduce?

@noris, thanks for jumping in on this. In anticipation of your request I have already noted the following:

Via the DEQX
DEQX was just rebooted with full power cycle at 11:15am.
at 11:19am on 22 Oct 2020
Track Dada - Time is Your Friend
Error at 1:19 of the song

At 11:25am on 22 Oct 2020
Track Blue Oyster Cult - That Was Me
Immediate error, zero playback.

Roon is in use playing from the WASAPI output to the soundbar currently and all is well there. Roon was in use last night streaming over WiFi to a Sonos unit with no errors. The only errors occur with the use of the DEQX.

File type or size do not seem to matter. One can play WAV, FLAC or MP3 of various bit rates and the error will occur.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Recycled power to DEQX via back panel switch on 24 October 2020 at 12:45
at 12:46 on 24 October I attempted to play 10/10 by Paolo Nutini and immediately received the error Roon Failed to Open Audio Device
Attempted to play Growing Up Beside You by Paolo Nutini and immediately received the error Roon Failed to Open Audio Device.

The Failed to Open Error is different from previous error of Roon Lost Control. The Paolo Nutini album is streaming from Tidal.

At 12:51 attempted to play a FLAC file from local storage, Minor’s Holiday, and received the Failed to Open error.

At 12:53 attempted to play an MP3 from local storage, Blackened, and received the Failed to Open error.

Just as an FYI, I have been contacted this morning by Alan at DEQX and he has picked up the troubleshooting from the DEQX end. Please, let’s continue gathering the log details so I may share them with Alan and I will in turn share Alan’s findings here.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

1 Like

Hi @John_Wilkinson,

If you wish to send your Roon logs over to DEQX, you can do so by using these instructions to access the logs. If DEQX is investigating this as well, they would be in a better position to determine what is going on. If they have any issues or require input from our end, they are always welcome to reach out through our partner channels, thanks!

Last week I received a new USB card from DEQX. During troubleshooting it was determined that the XMOS USB card in the HDP-5 had gone bad and was the culprit. After installing the new card and taking quite a bit of time to test that all complaints had been satisfied, I can say this is resolved. Roon now streams through the DEQX unit with no hiccups regardless of sample rate or file type and the sound is as good as I’ve ever heard it.

2 Likes

Hi @John_Wilkinson,

Thanks for letting us know that replacing the USB card resolved the issues here, happy listening!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.