Roon losing control whilst dormant and randomly during play back

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 PC, Roon build 1.7(build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router Bipac 8800NL R2 to BT Whole Home Mesh WiFi to Netgear unmanaged switch. Switch connects to Core machine and Sonos Boost by ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

2 x Sonos Play 5 in stereo pair. 2 x Play 1 in stereo pair, 2 x Play 1 in standalone. Using Windows laptop and iOS devices as controllers.

Description Of Issue

Setup has been stable for months until last Roon software update. Since then when first selecting content to play each day, Roon reports it has lost control the device. Close down and restart Roon application on Core PC resolves problem. However, Roon will randomly lose connection with Play 5’s after an hour or so of play. Notice that one speaker in stereo pair will drop and then the other. Roon app shows it is still playing and no message appears.

Play 5s still responding to Sonos app when this happens.

It seems the Roon core goes dormant after a time and the app requires to be closed and re-opened to re-acquire the connection. Occurs when playing all content - Tidal, local NAS content, internet radio stations.

Thanks

Patrick

Hi @Patrick_Noakes,

Do you have the Core set up to sleep or turn the screen off after some time? If so, can you try to disable these features to see if it makes a difference?

What happens if you try to leave a stream going to your Core’s System Output zone (the internal speakers)? Do you notice the issue occur there as well or does playback continue to work properly for that zone?

Hi @noris

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve done some further testing today.

The Core does not go into sleep mode, but the screen does switch off after 20mins. This has always been the case and the timing of the lost connection does not seem to correlate to the screen sleep timing.

The stream to the system output is unaffected. I’ve tested on other non Sonos endpoints and they too are unaffected (iPhone/iPad). i.e. when the controller app says it has lost connection to the Sonos endpoints, the system and iOS endpoints will continue to play. So this seems to be pointing to a Sonos related issue.

I am going to remove the Sonos boost from the equation and switch to direct Wifi connection for the Sonos endpoints to the BT Mesh WiFi network and see if that makes any difference.
—————
Update

Removing the Boost has made no difference. Sonos endpoints have lost connection overnight again. Other endpoints working fine.

Hi @Patrick_Noakes,

Thank you for running those tests and for temporarily eliminating the Boost from the equation!

The nest steps here would be to take a look at logs for further clues, can you please reproduce the issue and let me know the exact local time + date + track that the issue occurred on?

Think I may have solved this. I have been checking on both the core PC and router for any logged events that coincide with the drop outs. It seemed that the drop outs in play coincided with the timing of the renewal of the IP address lease issued by the routers DCHP. I moved the Sonos endpoints to static IP addresses and as a precaution extended the lease renewal on the DCHP to 7 days. Since then I have experienced no mid play drop outs and the connection has not been lost overnight either.

I’ll continue to monitor, but so far so good.

Patrick

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Noakes,

Thanks for letting us know you were able to pinpoint the cause of the issue, it does sound feasible that the IP lease renewal was causing the devices to disconnect. I’m hoping the static changes resolved the issue, but if you need further assistance, please just let us know and we can re-open this thread!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.