Roon Losing Core Connection to the Onkyo A/V Receiver

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini 2018, OS: Catalina GB, 16 GB Ram, Roon Version 1.7 build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Hard Wire Network, Linksys Switch to Spectrum RAC2VIS Cable Modem.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Roon Core Connected to Onkyo TX NR 787 via HDMI.

Description Of Issue
Each morning when I check Roon, my Onkyo TX NR 787 has disappeared from my core audio connections in settings. In the morning I refreshed the Core Connections without success.

The connection to the Onkyo is intact when I make a final look at my Roon system at night before retiring.
The Roon Core is up 24/7.

I get the connection back when I restart the Roon Core on the Mac Mini. I change endpoints during the day usually connecting to Airplay 2 devices. My last connection at night is connecting via Airplay to my some SoundTouch devices.

This is a usual practice for me and I have experienced this problem only in the last few days. The connections to the SoundTouch and all of my other devices remain enabled and accessible. Only the Onkyo connection is missing.

I might be finding the source of the problem. The problem seems to stem from using two display ports on the Mac Mini. One display port is for the HDMI connection from the MAC to the Onkyo for the music. The other is a USB-C to HDMI cable connection that serves a display port to the TV so that I could do problem determination without using remote software or having to go through the receiver for a display. There were times in the past when I was trying to trouble shoot a problem and I wanted the least intervention from external devices so I used the USB-C to HDMI connection and used the TV as the monitor.

Yesterday, I saw on a remote display from a Win computer to the MAC to be constantly refreshing itself as it connected and disconnected the Onkyo to the MAC in 2 to 5 sec intervals. This is the first time that I have seen this since I connected to Roon in Oct of 2019. I did further research on this problem and it seemed to indicate that multiple display ports can cause flickering in displays. I disconnected the USB-C to HDMI connection to the TV and the situation seemed to stop the flickering and the connection to the Onkyo seem to stabilize.

Everything came up this morning as it had in the past. I don’t know what caused the problem since I have been in this configuration for almost a year. I have been replacing/upgrading my speaker cables and network switches in the past week. I haven’t touched anything related to the display part of the Mac. I’ve tested my HDMI cables and they all checked out.

I will continue to monitor and research this problem. It looks to me that it is an APPLE - Onkyo issue and Roon is in the middle.

Hello @LennyBoy, and thanks for your report! I’m going to run this thread by the rest of the team for additional input. Since you’ve narrowed this down a bit, have you reached out to Onkyo to see if they’ve observed this behavior too?

I haven’t reached out to either vendor for assistance. I 'll first do research on the Web and see if others have experienced this. If it is undocumented I will contact them.

Hello @LennyBoy, next time this issue occurs, can you check to see if this device appears in your audio MIDI setup? In your applications folder on your Mac, navigate to the /Applications/Utilities folder and open “Audio MIDI Setup.app”. You can also open the application by simply doing a spotlight search for “Audio MIDI Setup”.

Both the Samsung TV and the receiver appear as audio devices.

This morning the connections were flashing back and forth. I clicked on aggregate device, but Roon wouldn’t play anD it put out a message for which I didn’t document. Once I de aggregated I was able to select the AV Receiver as an core endpoint. I5 was like they were in a tug of war for control. 8 unplugged the TV connection to resolv3 the conflict.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.