Roon loss control of the audio device with Ayon Stratos DAC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon run on PC:
VDO card: ASUS RADEON RX580
Mainboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A
Soundcard: ASUS ESSENCE STX II (not used)
Intel Core™ i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz
RAM 8 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 but
DRIVE C SSD (where Windows is)
Using HDMI to JVC projector.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Stratos DAC via USB.
Cello Preamp.

Description Of Issue
Dear Sir;

My problems are

1. When play playlist and the song change from 44.1k to MQA or others, I notice the Ayon DAC display changing for example 44.1k to 96k.
    Roon will notify that “Roon lost control of the audio device.” and stop playing. I need to re push play bottom again. And it can play.
    However; if play songs that 44.1k several songs continuously the problem is not occurring.

2. After update of Roon maybe about 1 year ago.
    When I play DSD file, Roon shows playing the file, however, there is no sound.

Are they anyway to fix these problems?
Thanks a lot for help :slight_smile:

Phol

Hi @Phol_T,

When you switch sample rates, what does the Signal Path show? MQA content can be decoded for higher sample rates (Roon has built-in Core decoding as well), so 96kHz might be expected here.

Does the “Roon lost control of audio device” message happen only between track transitions or have you seen it occur in the middle of tracks as well?

Have you installed the driver for this DAC?

What is your DSD Playback Strategy set to in your Device Setup tab? You can access device setup in two ways - right-click the zone name in the bottom right corner of Roon (next to volume button) or go to Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel next to zone -> Device Setup.

Dear Noris;
Thanks for your support.
To answer your question.

1st question please see attach photo.

2nd Question;

Add images

Roon will notify that “Roon lost control of the audio device.” and stop playing. I need to re push play bottom again. And it can play.

Does the “Roon lost control of audio device” message happen only between track transitions or have you seen it occur in the middle of tracks as well?

Answer:
Roon lost control of audio device” message happen only between track transitions not occur in the middle of tracks.

3th question;

After update of Roon maybe about 1 year ago.
When I play DSD file, Roon shows playing the file, however, there is no sound.

Have you installed the driver for this DAC?

Yes; I install the driver from the dealer of Ayon stratos give to me.
(the one you suggest me is ADL stratos not Ayon Stratos.)

Anyway, thanks a lot for trying to help me.

Hopefully,there will be some solution.
Thanks again Noris :slight_smile:
Phol

Hi @Phol_T,

Thanks for the additional info.

This looks like it is an MQA-encoded track, so seeing 96kHz on the DAC is to be expected here since Roon is doing the first unfold.

Is the behavior the same if you try using the WASAPI driver instead of the ASIO driver for this zone?

Can you please double check this and post a screenshot of your Device Setup tab?

It looks like this for reference:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.