Roon makes iPhone Hot

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac 5K as Roon Core, latest build 4/10/20.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Accessed over WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Using iPhone 11 Pro Max as Roon remote, sending audio to DirectStream DAC. Have had shut down issues with app in the past; then and now the iPhone gets really hot near the camera lenses. Same place when you’re playing a graphics intensive game. 13.3.1 iOS

Using iPad I never have had quitting of app and iPad does not get warm.

Not sure what app is doing to tax the phone so much.

Description Of Issue

Seems like this might be a bug.

1 Like

Hi @John_Hendron,

Are there any issues with using the app or is the problem here that it just gets too hot?
Is the behavior the same if you reinstall the app from the App Store?

I reinstalled the app. It continues to cause the phone to get hot and then the Roon Remote app crashes. All within 30 seconds.

I feel I have to look for another solution for music playback. This is so unreliable that it’s unusable.

I rebooted the iPhone this morning. This far, Roon is not crashing or making the phone hot. Appears issue may be a cumulative issue that develops over time?

After about an hour of listening, the iPhone version of the app crashes after about 15 seconds. There’s no extreme heat felt, however.

Hi @John_Hendron,

I’ve enabled diagnostics mode on your iPhone to see if logs contain further clues. Can you please open the Roon app and let it crash a few times and let me know here once you have done so? Hopefully the logs will be delivered and provide some further clues.

Went for three in a row just now.

Hi @John_Hendron,

Thanks for letting me know, I can confirm that the diagnostics from your iPhone have been delivered to our servers, but unfortunately I am not seeing any clues in them as to why this behavior is occurring.

Is your iPhone still in this state of constant crashes? If so, I wonder if it is related to something on your Core that’s triggering this behavior. Could you please try setting up a fresh database on your Core when your phone is in this state of constant crashes and verify if this stops the crashes?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the crashes on the iPhone stop

We can restore the old database later on, please do not try to restore it just yet for this test though.

I followed your instructions in creating a new Roon folder on the Core computer; it is currently still importing music from my NAS but I’m concurrently playing music that has already loaded into the new database.

The iPhone app has not crashed since the update. It also is not getting hot; it was just an hour before using the original database/settings.

I will use this over the weekend and report if all does not go well.

Thanks

An hour or so into listening, the app on the phone crashed again; phone was hot.

Hi @John_Hendron,

Sorry to hear that the issue has remained the same. I have been discussing this case with QA further and we would like to perform a few tests here:

1. If you temporarily enable Airplane Mode and have WiFi enabled, does the app still crash?

2. Can you please reproduce the issue, note the exact local time + date of the crash and use these instructions to access your iPhone console logs and upload them to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and post a link here?

Here’s what I got:

It crashed both in Airplane mode and without.

Hi @John_Hendron,

Thanks for sending that log over, but it doesn’t look like it has the necessary information we need.
The log we are looking for looks similar to the following post:

Upon further troubleshooting with other uses, this behavior seems to be related to either the queue size or the image cache on the iOS app. If you clear out the queue for the iPhone and go to Settings -> Setup -> Clear Image Cache, does that stop the crashing behavior?

No.
Since updating to 1.8 I’ve had some repeated issues with the iPhone app crashing after about 10 seconds. I’ve restarted phone and reinstalled app which helps but the issue returns. This is getting frustrating; shouldn’t have to do this.

Performance on 6 year old iPad is much better.

Hello,

Thank you for the report here, we are tracking this behavior in the following thread, please let us know here for further troubleshooting: