Roon misreading my hard drive

**Windows 10 PC = Core Machine. Roon build number 571 (version 5.7)

**Google Fiber Wifi

**Bryston BDP II music streamer. USB connected hard drive with FLAC files

I have in excess of 2000 albums on my BDP-connected hard drive. All those albums can be accessed from the native Bryston app. When using Roon, however, it detects only about 1,600. That smaller number includes hundreds of Tidal and Qobuz albums that randomly appear in my library (and apparently can’t be filtered out). Meaning Roon is detecting only perhaps half the albums on the USB connected hard drive.

Is this a known issue, and is there a fix?

Thanks much,

Is this a new install - new equipment, old problem, new problem?

It’s actually an old problem on an old install. I’ve kind of defaulted to using the Bryston to access my albums. Would like to have access to the entire library on Roon, however…

You can filter out or select and delete Qobuz and Tidal albums. Use the focus tool.

FAQ: Some of my files aren’t showing up in Roon

Thanks for the reply Ged - on my version, it seems that the default view of my music includes Tidal and Qobuz selections. “Focus” allows me to limit the view to only one (or both) of those…but not to exclude them.

If you do the filter you will see there is a + sign next to the filter. Click it and it will turn negative, so excluding the filter.

Very cool - thanks Ged. Is there a way to “mix and match”? For example, I don’t want Tidal or Qobuz, and I do want (only) FLAC?

Thanks BlackJack. I tried all the fixes in that FAQ (at least those that are still available), but no luck…

Why are some no longer available?

Note: I think that nobody is able to help you if you don’t provide any real information.

Just select flac.
I’m on a phone so no focus so I can’t show example.
Ok now on iPad.

Appreciate the feedback BlackJack. When Roon gets a bit more user friendly, I will definitely try it again!

Right - though it seems like you only get to choose one set of filters - and they have to all be + or all be -. So you can’t do “-Tidal, Qobuz” and “+FLAC”.

Hey - found a work-around. You can deselect streaming services, and select 16bit. That allows a view of only my library…which is about half of what’s actually on the hard drive. Looks like I’ll be sticking with the Bryston software for the time being though! Thanks again for the assist…

Have you tried a rescan?

Yes you can do this… Choose FLAC from the Format filter, and exclude your Qobuz and Tidal libraries from the Inspector/Storage Location filter…

Hi @James_Werner,

First, I’d like to point out some documentation we have that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? Are they showing up in Skipped Files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

Yes - I’ve tried multiple re-scans. No luck…

If you open up a viewer from the PC (file explorer) to the USB drive on the Bryston, do you see all the files? If you do, then find one which you can see in the Windows File Explorer, that you cannot in Roon. Provide the examples of the the file(s) you cannot see.

Also, you might try putting your files LOCAL to the Core. As it is now, you are streaming the music from the hard drive connected to the Bryson to the Windows PC, processing it and then sending it back to the Bryson.

Hey there - skipped files show two out of more than 2,000…so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

All files are supported (they’re all FLAC).

I think I’m actually good for the moment - sound quality playing directly from my Bryston rig is noticeably better than with the added layer of Roon. I can still use Roon for the odd bit of music research, and will periodically try it to see if it’s displaying my files and/or the sound is improving. I feel like when it becomes more of an “end user” tool, it will generally be much better!

Thanks again for the assist,