Roon mobile: remote streaming outside of the home [done]

I tried to understand what you mean by “cloud-based single Roon login”. I failed… Can you elaborate?

I’m simply asking that my Roon core setup not be tied to a single machine and all of my settings and updates load to any machine I’m logged into. Like Spotify (ugh) Connect. And I realize that I can install a backup to any Roon software anywhere, but that does have some issues and there is no reason I can think of to require multiple licenses other than the two reasons I mention above.

I’m more than happy to travel between my homes with a cloned SSD for my ripped content. HTH.

1 Like

LOL. As I said, this is clearly an old topic. Please, Roon, keep your existing customers and add this immediately. It’s 2022 FFS.

1 Like

And I actually think it was merged into the wrong thread. The way you describe it, you’d like to be able to use it in multiple homes, whereas this thread is about outside home…

1 Like

That’s true. But I suspect the solution is similar.

Have you tried plexamp out of interest? It’s a lot better for music than the main plex client. I’ve seen a sort of renewed interest in the music side of things over at plex lately, including the addition of a plex endpoint that can be run on a raspberry pi for music. I do believe it will NEVER be up to Roon’s audio transport audiophile level, however it sure is great to feel some competition from another angle, generally that’s only good for consumers! Plexamp even has desktop clients.

This is bordering on clustering capability. Pretty advanced stuff for a home user. If there was a mobile product that would solve the issue anyway right - might be simpler in the end.

Yes. Still doesn’t support grouping multiple versions of albums.

I suspect its not…when Roon has Mobile its more likely to be a remote connection to a (your) fixed location core system not some core run anywhere you happen to be able to run it up that syncs database changes.

1 Like

Preach it!

Why can lame companies like Tidal and Spotify do it but Roon cannot? I’ll just drop Roon as soon as Qobuz rolls out Qobuz Connect.

Tidal and Spotify are much larger corporations. They probably each have a dev team larger than Roon’s entire employee base.

Roon has taken on a pretty big task. So far, I like it. I’m willing to wait for quality I am learning. My $0.02

3 Likes

Or wait till Spotify does HiRes or Lossless … seems they cant do either :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but this is not a complex task at all. I suspect that I am in the small minority that owns multiple homes and don’t want to go through the backup/restore process wherever I happen to be spending time. So it’s probably a low priority for Roon to be sure. They’ll only lose me and a few others.

1 Like

I’ll never subscribe to Spotify regardless of what they roll out.

1 Like

Tidal and Spotify is a completely different thing to Roon, they don’t have locally stored music and a local database with user metadata and edits. It’s not comparable at all.

Of course, it may well be that Qobuz/Tidal Content fits your needs better, but Roon exists for the others

Sigh. I’m WELL aware of how Roon is different. JFC. I’m also well aware that the metadata and other configuration info can be loaded via login regardless of location. This is not a difficult technology request. It’s simply a low priority. And done people may just pay for multiple licenses!

I wonder why if it’s so simple to do companies like Innous and Aurender haven’t implemented offsite access.

1 Like

It is likely much more difficult than you think to implement it in a way that is legally acceptable to all stakeholders (music companies and streaming companies globally) while also satisfying all the use cases that Roon users have come to expect and at a reliability level we demand.

The reality is that all we know is that it is actively being worked on. In time, all will be revealed.

1 Like

As a 30 year veteran of the software industry, I can assure you that you’re mistaken here. It’s simply not a priority. Easy as that. Hope this helps.