Roon mobile: remote streaming outside of the home [done]

Only 27 years here, so there is chance you have a better, more directly applicable perspective. Personally, I would give the Roon team the time to come up with the solution that fits with their vision and strategy. I understand that others may not be as patient.

2 Likes

It’s actually quite simple. Marketing at Roon has prioritizes this very low due to the very small number of people who are inconvenienced by this lack of functionality. I sincerely doubt there is a significant percentage of customers with multiple homes.

Regardless, it’s certainly not technological heavy lifting. I wouldn’t enable it if I were Roon either. They’ll only
lose a few of us (there are multiple threads requesting this and few can even comprehend what we are asking for).

I suppose those 30 years also included in-depth work on firewalls, networking, and all the things that come with determining how customers would have to modify their home environments to allow the traffic to pass through firewalls.

I will remind you that off-prem access wasn’t something you paid for when you signed up for your license. If this ever does become a feature, are you expecting it to be free?

1 Like

Actually @Charles_Gregg may I suggest that it is yourself who tones the rhetoric down a notch or two please.
Your repeated diatribe is getting awful close to what is termed as axe grinding.
Please continue to enjoy the discussion but have a little more care with your outpourings.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

12 Likes

So that’s the reason you don’t use it, seems like a minor issue if you want remote playback. And I do believe it does support multiple versions, but perhaps not the multiple versions you’re talking about. I note they just enhanced this for Movies and TV recently so that it not only supports differing qualities but differing releases e.g. Directors Cut, maybe it’s coming to music too.

It’s quite annoying. I used to create a separate directory for music using symbolic links to weed our the better album versions. Got to be a bit of a pain. I haven’t used Plex in a couple of years. Haven’t had the need for it lately.

It groups movies, why not different versions of albums. Oh well, doesn’t really bug me much, I’m not losing any sleep over it. :coffee::+1:t2::crazy_face:

So that we don’t lose perspective, there are two features that seem to have merged in this discussion:

1. Access to Roon remotely (ideally from all of: phone, tablet, computer, or other Roon ready endpoint)
  2. Automatic synchronization of multiple on Roon cores (for the use case of someone with multiple homes or home & office scenarios).

I agree that the first impacts everyone every day and should be the highest priority as a result.

The second seems to also be important to quite a few people based on various posts over the years, but I have no idea what percentage of the Roon user base that would represent. I would still like to see this use case factored into the thought process at Roon as they consider their approach to Roon outside the home.

That said, I am eagerly looking forward to learn how Roon is approaching this challenge and what shape the solution will take. As I write this, I have been away from my Roon core for over 6 weeks and am all too aware of the “remote” disconnect.

1 Like

If they are different, then the statements that Tidal/Qobuz can do it, and that it’s easy, make no sense at all. The only possible reason for writing that is that one thinks that they are comparable

The title says this is scheduled. May I ask where is the schedule?

1 Like

You may.

.sjb

3 Likes

Nobody has ever received an answer to that question and lived. Fact!

3 Likes

Maybe roon 2.0 comes with remote streaming.
please…

2 Likes

The schedule is not public and won’t be made public, as it may change. We’ve announced/leaked things in the past only to be harshly criticized when the realities of software development cause changes in those dates. We made an internal policy to never talk publicly about dates again.

The first one is super interesting, and we are working on it. It’s the main topic of this thread. The second one has been coming up for even longer (since we were Team Sooloos). It is not scheduled and not one we find very compelling to build because of the relatively small number of users that would find it to be useful.

It’d better just to build the first solution good enough, so you don’t need the second, or maybe even a way to eliminate the Core.

14 Likes

Well this sounds promising. Hopefully very soon. I am so sick of subbing to multiple streaming services just to get what I need outside the house, when I have much of it locally.

1 Like

This is done:

12 Likes