Roon modified files on Hard drive [recreating sub folder]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Rock INTEL NUC NUC7i7BNH (2C/4T, Intel Core i7 7567U 3.5-4.0Ghz)
Version 1.0 (b175) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer)
Auralic Vega G2 (ethernet)

Description Of Issue
I came back from vacation and powered my system up and now I notice one of my hard drives has had the file structure modified. Roon seems to have changed my two music folders so they are now only 4GB each, and it has created an unlimited set of subfolders which are the name of the volume. Roon won’t detect anything in these sub folders.

roon1

roon2

When was the last time you updated roon…B175 was years ago, it’s now B416 !!! B175 was like end of Roon v1.2…we are now on V1.6

Must have been some holiday :flushed:

3 Likes

B175 is the current release for ROCK, which the OP manged to use somehow on his Windows 10 Core (see his screenshots: ThisPC > Data (\\rock) (Y:) > Storage >). :thinking:

1 Like

I dont think so, he’s using Rock on a NUC, but using Windows to look at the files.

@jcat what is showing in your settings > storage tab? (From Rock storage basics)

My two external drives are displaying in Storage but I should have 454,837 files not 156K as shown.

I will force rescan of disk alpha, but still concerned about working on the Core 2 disk, going forward it will be hard to manage given the nested folders that I am assuming Roon created.

Thanks, I was interested to see if Roon still made sense of the looped file structure. It appears it does.

Which disk are/were the missing 300k tracks on? (And how do you know the correct figure so precisely?)
Does a reboot change anything?
I hope you have backups.

Over to the experts. @support.

It’s running a reimport on the disk showing 110k files. I do have three backups of this data set, whew. Thanks!

Hi @jcat,

Thanks for reaching out, can you please provide some more information regarding your setup?

• What is the model/manufacturer of the Roon Core 2 disk?

• Have you tried rebooting the Core and if so, did that yield any change to the structure in Windows Explorer?

• Has this drive ever been connected to another computer or has it always been dedicated to the ROCK setup?

Your Roon Core Alpha / M3U Mixes / Playlists and your Roon Core Alpha / Playlists and already being picked up in the base Roon Core Alpha Storage location. As such, they are being read twice and should be disabled.

They weren’t so I added that location. Now the the ROCK is restarted but not loaded. Seems crashed now.

Both are identical, and only formatted on Windows 10, then used for ROCK dedicated:

Seagate Exos 12TB Internal Hard Drive Enterprise HDD – 3.5 Inch 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 128MB Cache for Enterprise, Data Center – Frustration Free Packaging (ST12000NM0007)

The system appears to be restarting over and over at this point every 5 minutes.

Hi @jcat,

Thanks for letting me know that hard drive mode and about the new crashing behavior. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Can you please also let me know - since this appears to be an internal 3.5HDD, are you using any specific kind of HDD enclosure? Do you recall how it was formatted on Windows 10, was it formatted as NTFS?

1 Like

I am using (2) of these for now:

I formatted as NTFS with 4K cluster size I believe.

The ROON Server software is restarting every 6 minutes on its own so it looks like I need more advice. Should I reinstall the database, or the OS?

Hi @jcat,

Thanks for letting me know those enclosures. I would start by disabling all of your watched storage locations in Roon Settings -> Storage to see if it stops the crashes. If it does not, I would make sure to have a backup of your database saved somewhere safe and go ahead and reinstall the OS via the Web UI.

Thanks I can’t even access Roon so I will proceed. I did make a backup but it doesn’t find anything at that location for some reason. any idea on the file structure issue?

Hi @jcat,

I spoke to the technical team regarding the diagnostics from your Core but there was nothing that jumped out to them regarding this behavior. My suggestion would be to reinstall the Roon OS via the WebUI to see if that helps. If it does not, then our next step would be to set the old database aside and try restoring from one of your backups. You can set the old ROCK database aside by using these instructions:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if this database works properly for a day or two
  • Restore from a backup

I can’t login to Roon CORE now, I am getting a Network Error. I think I had used Google DNS in the past but can’t see where to do that now.

Hi @jcat,

Can you try logging into the Core via Hostmame/IP address from another PC? You can open Windows Explorer (on Windows) or Finder (on Mac) and type in \\ROCK\ or \\IPADDRESS to access the database share. Once there, please use the previous instructions I listed to set the old database aside.

Yes I can access \Rock but can’t get Roon login done on any machine. Checking my switches etc now

Hi @jcat,

How have you configured your ROCK setup in the Web UI? If you have it set to static IP or you have a bad DNS server, I would check that aspect. Also, if you have multiple switches or other pieces of networking gear I would try to bypass these and connect the ROCK directly to the router as a test.