Roon MQA settings for Topping D90SE

Yes, it’s disappointing as I wanted to keep the D90ES but the skipping issue with MQA is just too annoying. I have tried every possible setting with no luck. It’s just not Roon friendly. I even get drops over USB when grouping zones.

When playing to multiple endpoints, it’s generally best to set to Renderer Only.

I’ll give it a go…Thanks

For the skipping problem, let’s continue the discussion in your own thread:

Is it Roon it doesn’t like or the Node? Thanks

How do I that? Thanks

I think both.

I haven’t seen any evidence of the D90SE being incompatible with Roon when connected directly to the Core or connected to an RPi running Ropieee. What makes you think that the there is a compatibility issue between Roon and the D90SE?

1 Like

I hadn’t heard it until mentioned in this thread but mine definitely skips now and it didn’t yesterday before I added the D90SE.

Play MQA songs and it will drop. John (Topping owner) is totally aware of this particular issue.

Have you tried using Roon with the D90SE connected to something other than the Bluesound? It’s a case of isolating whether the problem is Roon/D90SE or Bluesound/D90SE. There’s obviously a problem, but it’s where the problem lies that needs to be established. Particualrly if the problem could be put right by the introduction of a cheap RPi4 running Ropieee.

I tried every possible combination. Including USB from a Lenovo M90n running 5.20 driver and still drops when playing MQA.

I haven’t try plugged directly into my Roon ROCK, though.

That’s a fair point. So it does look like it’s not just a Bluesound/D90SE issue. Hopefully John Yang will be able to help. It’s annoying when things go wrong and you’ve tried everything!

Just for clarity (sorry to be pedantic!) John is not the owner of Topping, he is the designer of some of their products.

2 Likes

I’m struggling to play MQA from my Mac Mini to Topping but I think it’s because I have a USB to spifid converter. I’m getting a longer usb cable Tues so will try Mac to Topping for a few hours then. It skips every 15/20 mins so should be easy to test…

1 Like

Might be worth trying it. Not as a solution, just as an aid to diagnosis. Let John Yang know your results. I think I’m right in saying that you’re in conversation with him over on ASR.

Does MQA work direct from Tidal or BS to Topping and not through Roon? Cheers

Correct. And he already told me that there is not too much he can do with these kind of incompatibility issues other than he recommended me to contact the seller and ask for a RMA/refund :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s something I need to try.,

1 Like

Ditto. I have no issues with RoPieee running on a USBridge Signature Player (RPI 3 Compute) connected (via USB) to my D90SE. Tidal MQA does not skip and shows up as MQA or MQA. on the D90SE’s display.

2 Likes