Roon native version for Apple Silicon [done]

@connor if we need beta testers when the time comes @Mark_Duffield has graciously thrown his name in the hat. :pray:t2:

2 Likes

@jamie @connor Would love to add my name to the hat on beta testers. This wouldnā€™t be my first time beta-testing, and have a nice little setup to see how it performs.

1 Like

ok, iā€™m confused a bit here (which isnā€™t surprising for me).

You mention SERVER and CORE separately.

Are these two separate machines running two separate instances of Roon? I always thought CORE and SERVER are the same thing, and the terms used interchangeably, yes?

I mean, the ā€œserverā€ is a machine that runs your core, and the actual name for the app is called ā€œroonserverā€, right?

Not trying to split hairs, just genuinely curious if people are using the terms to mean two different things.

Chris,

I really wished I knew the answer to that. I had a Roon management guy ask me about it and was going to explain it to meā€¦but never did.

My Roon Server is where my Library is (2012 MAC Mini) and I was told that to use Room Correction Convolutions they had to be on a different unit than my Library (which I never understood), so I installed it on my Office computer, which now is an M1 MAC Mini. It all works wonderfully thatā€™s all I knowā€¦I wish I knew how to explain it betterā€¦

haha, no idea what this is. Is it through roon or some roon extension? What do you tell roon to do to see/use it?

I use HQPlayer, and that can live on the same or a different machine as the core. That has some convolution stuff as a part of the upsampling/filtering, but I donā€™t know much about how it works.

Would love to see screenshots to know what youā€™re referring to! (But not a big deal. Just curious.)

Chris,

You should go here and just read about it. Improved crosstalk reduction, Phantom center tonal correction and more... - Home Audio Fidelity

Basically itā€™s Software that that corrects your music in your listening room. You have to measure what you currently have with a Microphone made for such a thing. UMIK-1 is a popular one. I got it with a previous attempt at Room Correction using Mini DSP which ended up nullifying all the work that my DAC did in bringing me Room Correction. Once you measure your system, you send those files to a great guy named Thierry, who runs Home Audio Fidelity. He develops the Convolutions that you simply add to Roon, that Roon makes great use of installed in their software that you benefit from.

Probably sounds all complicated when itā€™s really simple. Roon accommodates these files very easily and you can click them on and off to tell the difference. Itā€™s like you get a new sound system (depending how bad your room acoustics are) for not a lot of money comparatively.

1 Like

@LarryMagoo does not use the right terminology. The Roon Core is the server. The server can have a UI or be remotely managed only. For example, I run a version of the Roon Core on my M1 Mac mini that does not have a UI. But, you can also run the version that does have a UI.

I re-subscribed to Roon when I heard the news that the iPad app finally works with the magic kbd. Sadly, Roon Core on the M1 mini still runs in Rosetta.

Roon bogs down when doing convolution with DSD files. DSD256 just works (most of the time), with DSD512 the Processing Speed drops to 1x or below. Iā€™m expecting this to change with a native Apple Silicon version.

3 Likes

@jamie,

Love your Altamont Pass reference. I used to work at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and rode my bicycle over that at least once a week as part of the weekly ride series. I wasnā€™t quite old enough to be there, but my college professor friend were there and described all of the craziness that went on ā€” including the famous moment when they told the crowd to sit down which caused all sorts of chaos because there wasnā€™t room to do that with everyone jammed up next to the stage ā€¦

Best of luck with your software development!

Casey

2 Likes

Excellent news. Plex has just dropped their native Plex service for apple silicon.

1 Like

Hey @LarryMagoo and @terzinator! No worries mates, the terminology can feel a bit confusing. @musicjunkie917 points you in the right direction.

Hereā€™s a helpful explanation:

Your Core is the super-brain of your entire Roon set-up. You can either use Roon Server or Roon All-in-One for your Core.

Roon Server is a lighter install in terms of system resources. It doesnā€™t have a user interface and requires either Roon Remote or Roon (used as a remote) to operate.

Roon (see screenshot below from our Downloads page) can be set up as a remote or an All-in-One Roon Core. I think this is where people get confused.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 10.37.42 AM

If youā€™re using Roon Server as your Core, then Roon would be set up as a Remote upon installation on Mac or PC. If youā€™re not using a separate machine to run Roon Server, Roon will be your All-in-One Core - simply meaning that the control function (user interface) and components of Roon Server are all bundled together in the same install.

So, to reiterate, your Roon Core can be either Roon Server or Roon All-in-One. The difference comes down to your individual Roon setup.

Library/Roon Database is another area where people get confused.

Simply speaking your Library is your Music Collection - that collection can be from a streaming service, local music files, or both. Your library doesnā€™t have to sit on your Roon Core machine. You can tell Roon where your local files are located in Settings>Storage.

Your Roon Database is where all the information for the Roon app is stored. Thatā€™s way way different than your Library. Your database contains details about your Library as well as all the information and particularities about your Roon setup.

Our Help Article on Backups further clarifies the difference: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/backup

@LarryMagoo - what you were probably advised was that you donā€™t want your Backups or Roon Database to be stored inside a watched folder that contains your Music Library - that can cause problems. Your Database Folder, the location for your Backups, and your Library can be on the same machine.

Just make sure that your backups arenā€™t inside a watched music folder. For more details see the Backups article link above.

6 Likes

Not to confuse matters, but your statement seems to imply that you should use the Roon app as an all-in-one solution if youā€™re using a single machine for both core and control, which isnā€™t necessarily the case, i.e. you can use RoonServer for the core and the full Roon app for control.

3 Likes

Hey @DaveN,

You are correct, but Support doesnā€™t generally recommend doing that in all cases. Weā€™ve seen many people who run Roon on older machines try it and encounter problems. In our experience, itā€™s better to just run Roon All-in-One than attempt running both on the same machine.

Again, running both wouldnā€™t be a problem for some machines, but when itā€™s a problemā€¦ man, is it a problem.

2 Likes

Jamie,
Thanks much for that explanationā€¦6 years a Roonie and for once I think I understand it now! While Iā€™m glad a native Roon is coming down the pike for use in M1 or higher, my setup is running tip-top for me as all my connections are hardwired (except of course my iPad Remote). I am impressed by Roonā€™s efforts to keep pace with current technology!

3 Likes

This thread has been running for more than two years now - any sign of progress or a release date?

It is currently being tested by Roon labā€™s and Danny has said that it was running fine on his setup.

Not sure what is holding up the official release, but maybe it is being tied to a 1.9 or even 2.0 release, but I am just speculating on that point :grin:

1 Like

I seem to recall that the Apple Silicon release is tied to Roonā€™s migration to a new dev framework, which will affect all platforms. That would certainly take longer on testing, but two years? Iā€™ve previously expressed strong (experience-based) opinions on their approach and been kicked out for doing so, so Iā€™ll leave it at that!

Richard
I think what you was referring to as the migration from Mono to DotNet 6 which came to Apple Silicon Macs much later than Intel based Macs. It is what it is and Roon are not going to develop everything again on a different platform when probably 20 years of development (including Sooloos) is wrapped up in DotNet.
I donā€™t want you to get banned so best say nothing for the moment.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m referring to! <looks for sufficiently large facepalm emoji - fails :rofl:>

1 Like

Dannyā€™s last message is from two months ago. A status update would be highly appreciated.

I would be more than happy to use a beta version, knowing that it might have issues.