Roon not able to keep up visually with what is playing sonically

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC with ROCK. Version 2.0(build1272)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wireless connection. Using iPhone X as remote. Constant issues lately with lag . random stopping.

Connected Audio Devices

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC using the network bridge. Connected via ethernet to core

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Guys,

Recently been having a problem I never had until recently. The app is not able to keep up visually with what is playing sonically. Say I am listening to song 2 on an album. When I go in to switch songs or fast forward to song 4, it still shows I am listening to song 2, but it is actually playing song 4.

It does this every time. What is up with that? is this a know problem?

Thanks, John Huffman

Kind of. I have an ongoing ticket for the now playing lagging behind what’s playing after it’s been in the background and often you see it fast fw d through tracks to catch-up which is hilarious. I have not seen it do it via skipping songs mind so that’s new behaviour.

1 Like

These are the same issues I am having. Pretty recent problem. Years of no issue.

Thx. Keep us posted on situation.

Hi, Roon Team,

is this a known issue and is it being worked on? Not seeing any response. Thx,

John

Hi @John_Huffman,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting a staff response. The team has investigated diagnostics available to our servers for the affected ROCK and iPhone and come to a few conclusions:

1. There are large numbers of network timeouts in logs as your Roon Core attempts to communicate to both Remotes (your iPhone) and endpoints. There are also requests from your ROCK to our servers failing, though less frequently.
  • What is the make and model of your router, and what other network hardware is involved?
  • Disable any VPNs you might be using
  • Verify that multicast is enabled
  • Try hardwiring your Core directly to the main upstream router, if applicable, and testing with your iPhone Remote in the same room.
  1. Since you’re using only local storage, there are indications of track corruption and other metadata failures in logs. You may or may not be noticing these during regular playback and they are likely not the underpinning cause of your issues. However, it’s worth reviewing where you’ve stored your tracks, and what Watched Folder settings you’ve made available.
  • Where are you storing your Roon library? Do tracks ever fail to play, or become unavailable? - If you navigate to Roon → Settings → Library and click on “Clean Up Library,” it will open a dialogue box listing some diagnostics around track availability in your library. Be sure to click “Cancel” to avoid taking any action in this screen.

We’ll keep a lookout for your response. Thank you again.

Hi there Connor,

Wow. A lot going on I did not know about.

Much of this is a bit over my head but obviously there are issues to address.

When I am back from vaca I will give you a more detailed response.

Thanks so much for looking so deeply into this.

Best?

John

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.