Roon not communicating with Lumin

What Roon are you talking about in the audio room? Sorry, I’m not getting what you’re saying.

Two things -

You can’t use a different name for your dlink from that in the other router. I know that won’t work in an extended network scheme.

As I suggested before, connect the Ethernet in the audio room directly to the Lumin. It should show up in Settings==>Audio. Let’s see what happens.

Well I think I meant the roon app on my iPad for navigating the roon.

The Lumin is directly connected from the wall Jack via Ethernet.

The router is strictly for WiFi, which is for the iPad roon navigation. I forgot to explain that I think.

So the Lumin is hard wired to the wall, but the roon app on the iPad is not hard wired but operating via wifi

This needs to be solved first. Your iPad should connect to the WiFi network. Launch Lumin app, in Lumin renderer selection, you should see Lumin D1.

Then in Lumin app settings, please enable Roon Ready. (This is the factory default, but if you got the D1 used as it was discontinued in late 2017, the former owner may have disabled it.)

If you cannot see the Lumin D1, your network configuration is faulty.

Please tell me the D-Link model you’re using. If it’s a router, it has to be changed to bridge mode otherwise it won’t work.

You should understand that if you use bridge mode, you will get only half the thruput on the network that goes thru your dlink.

Since you’ve taken the trouble to crawl under the house and run Ethernet to your audio room, I don’t understand why you don’t put a switch in your audio room and hang the Lumin off one port on the switch and the dlink (as an extender) off another port on the switch.

That way you directly connect the Lumin without worrying about any extended vs. bridged problems and you can run the dlink in extended mode to carry WiFi.

You’ll still have to straighten out the problems with your extended network to get WiFi, but at least you can then do it to music. :smirk:

I assume the role of the D-Link is to convert the Ethernet into WiFi. In this case I’d not say the bandwidth is cut in half. However, if the D-Link acts as a WiFi repeater, then the WiFi bandwidth is halved.

Since the network topology in question is not a simple one, and the description of important details are split in multiple posts, I’m not sure myself (or everyone else) has a complete understanding of the network topology and what and how every piece of equipment is connected.

1 Like

Hello Peter.

I don’t know where “renderer” selection is. The only thing I can select on the Lumin app is settings. Then I select search for devices and the Lumin D1 doesn’t come up. Nothing does. And that is of course with the Lumin on.

I don’t see "Room Ready in the settings either

The thing is this is the case of I select the main router network as well. For some reason my iPad is not communicating with my Lumin with either the main router or the dlink. Thank you

I had to wait a day because the posts I made yesterday reached 20 and this Roon forum I guess only allows 20 a day

Slim,

Yes the Lumin streamer is being fed Ethernet directly from the wall Jack. The problem is my Roon navigation software on my iPad is not communicating with my Lumin. It communicates with my Roon on my desktop computer instead. And that is whether I choose WiFi from my main router or the dlink in my audio room

I should not have used the technical term renderer. Yes I mean the Lumin device - it’s at the top of the settings in the Lumin app.

Please describe again how and what everything is connected, and the brand and model of every piece of network equipment.

You may install Linn Kazoo software on your Windows desktop. Check if it can see the Lumin D1. If that works, then install Linn Kazoo on your iPad. Check again. If it works on Windows but not on iPad, your WiFi setup is broken.

Peter,

I have the dlink switch behind the unit on extender…not router. So it goes…and this is all ethernet:

Desktop roon core…main router…wall jack and Ethernet cable underneath the house to audio room jack…then Lumin streamer direct from one port. The other port from the audio room wall Jack goes to the dlink router/extender

Please do this test and let me know the results.

Okay I did. Don’t see how to check if kazoo “sees” Lumin

I think Linn Kazoo uses the term Room (not Roon) to indicate the player. See if you have anything selectable for that when running on Windows.

I’m looking at the kazoo app. I see tidal and other things but I don’t see where to find Roon.

In this screenshot, “Kitchen” refers to a player hardware. See if you have Lumin D1 in this dialog.

Peter,

How do I get to this? I don’t see kitchen or how to get to this window. I may lose contact with you this evening as I’m only allowed 20 exchanges but thank you for this help. James

From the Kazoo user guide:

1. To show the room selection dialogue click RoomName.png at the top of the screen

2. Click on the desired room name

Please try to factory reset the D1 as follows:

• Power down the D1
  • insert a pin in the reset hole at the back
  • Keep holding the reset while you power it on
  • Keep holding it for 20 more seconds until you see some small text on the D1 front panel

For experiment, please also connect the Windows PC and the Lumin D1 (without the rest of the audio setup) to the same network switch or router using Ethernet cable.

Peter,

Making progress. I did what you said and returned to kazoo app. It now says “waiting for Lumin” but it just sits there spinning and thinking. If I click on the down arrow at the top center of the app it says Lumin D1 in "Rooms (1))

But it is just thinking and spinning.

The Lumin is directly connected to the main router via Ethernet. It goes desktop…main router…ethernet under house…Lumin.

The slink is just for WiFi in my room for the iPad Roon navigation software

On Windows, please go to Roon settings -> Audio. Scroll down to Roon Ready section. Find Lumin D1, enable it and assign it a zone name. Try playing something and select the zone to newly named zone.

Let’s make sure it works on wired network before we solve the WiFi issue.

Here is the snapshot. You see 3 Lumin here. The top one looked just like you see here…unnamed.

Then the two below I clicked enable on both of them. I don’t know if I was supposed to enable the bottom 2…i can always disable them.

When I click on the gears of any of these 3 it says device setup

I wasted a reply by not including the snapshot