Roon not erasable on Mac Mini

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS3018xs
INTEL Pentium D1508
2.2 GHz
DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3

Roon Core: for Synology 2018-03-07

Qobuz: Hifi Abo is available

Roon 1 (remote): on Mac Mini Mid 2010 2,4 GHz 8 GByte RAM

Roon 2 (remote): on Mac PowerBook 2015 running Windows 10 (bootcamp)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

wired ethernet Cat 6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Mac Mini Audio
or
Mac PowerBook 2015 running Windows 10 (bootcamp)

Description Of Issue
Problem on Mac Mini:
Roon can be installed, but not started!
there isbe an earlier version of roon on this Mac Mini that cannot be deleted.

Problem on Mac Powerbook
Roon can start and play files from home net, but from Qobuz sometimes playing is not possible, sometimes it works (Account is set, login successful)

Hi @M_Moser,

Can you elaborate on this a bit? What happens when you try to start Roon? What is the earlier version that you can’t delete?

The first thing I notice here is that your doesn’t quite meet our requirements. If you use the MacBook as a Core instead is there any change here?

Thanks, for responding so fast!

Mac Mini
Some years ago, an earlier version of roon was obviously installed on the Mac Mini. There are some folders from this time that cannot be erased.
One of them is called null.exe which contains a lot of other folders, if opened holding ALT.
If I start Roon on the Mini from the Dock, there is a small black point flashing below the roon symbol, as if the program would start, but it does not.

Could you please tell me, which reqirements, as the NAS containes a relatively strong processor?
Thanks,
Max

Hi @M_Moser,

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing here? Is this Roon or RoonServer that you had installed?

This is what I see: (I have moved the folders to an untitled, hoping I could erase them there after restart, which was not the case, unfortunately:

Hi @M_Moser,

Can you record what you’re seeing here and share a video with us?

Can you verify whether this is Roon or RoonServer being installed here?

It is possible that roon server was installed, but the program has been erased partially. Now roon server is running on the NAS.
The problem with Roon/Qobuz on the Powerbook Pro has been resolved (by itself) meanwhile. Roon is running on the NAS, Powerbook works well as a client, together with Qobuz. (i saw in other threads this was a recent European problem.)

What remains:

1. roon client cannot be started on the MacMini.
  2. Remaining files cannot be erased.

When I come home on weekend, I try to make a video.
Regards,
Max

1 Like

Hello, here is the short video which shows what happens when I click on (the freshly installed) Roon: nothing…

Oh, the video cannot be pasted (14 Mbyte) - how can I post it?

The video also cannot be uploaded (it has .MOV format which is not permitted)

Hi @M_Moser,

Can you share the video via a shared Dropbox link or another file sharing service?

Can I use wetransfer and what email adress should I write into the adressee?
Max

[Link removed by support]

Above you find the shared link in wetransfer

Thanks, @M_Moser — The file has been downloaded and passed to the team. I’ll update you once I have their feedback.

Hi @M_Moser,

Thanks for the video. I was hoping that next you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Ok, I gave up, bought an i7 Mini Mac, installed Bootcamp windows and moved the core there.
Now things are working, as far as I can see.
I am going to use the “old” Mac Mini in a different location and will report if it works there.

Thanks, @M_Moser — I’m glad to hear that things are running for you now. Let us know how the test goes with the old Mac Mini!

Also the old Mac Mini (2009) is now working properly.
I reformatted and reinstalled Mac OS.
Connected the Mini to the Iphone 7 via USB (tethered Ethernet)
ut my database of music on two 512 MByte USB Sticks
(there are 5 USB slots on this Mac Mini).
As DA converter I use a HERON converter via USB.
Then I started Roon, entered Tidal Password.

Together with Tidal a full experience of Music is now possible!

Regards
Max