Roon not installing on Mac mini

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac OS Sierra ver10.12.6
Mac mini (mid 2010)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 16GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeFOrce 320M 256MB

Roon downloads, but cannot install on the mini.
Wired on ethernet to Xfinity/comcast router.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mini wired on ethernet, using HDMI to connect to Arcam AVR. Arcam output to Sony tv.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue

Downloads, but will not install. Tried doing the terminal changes, and tried modifying the preferences to allow downloads from non-apple sources.

That mini is way under spec so you will maybe not have a great roon experience as it will struggle to get running importing and analyzing your library.

That said which version are you downloading?

1 Like

Hi @AV_Ronn2,

Just to verify, did you follow the steps outlined below as described in our KB?

1. Download the .dmg (Disk image) file from our downloads page. See Software Packages if you’re not sure what to grab
  2. Open the .dmg file by double clicking it
  3. In the Disk Image window, drag the Roon icon into the Applications folder
  4. Navigate to your Applications folder in Finder, and double click Roon to launch it. If Roon doesn’t launch, try right clicking it and selecting Open
  5. Eject the Disk Image in Finder

Hi Dylan,

I figured it out. It was user error on my part. It became a matter of where the cursor was on the Roon icon. In fact it aligned to the label under theicon, rather than on the icon itself. Once the cursor aligns to show the “+” sign I was able to drag it to the applications folder icon…I feel pretty dumb, but lesson learned.

All the Best

Thank you for reaching out!

Just a note re the specs, you will want an SSD in there as the OS boot drive at the very least. It will struggle for hours maybe days or weeks with your library depending on the number of local tracks to import and analyse. Plus searching for this might be slow.

Roon is a server based database engine and does require some horsepower to run ideally.

Mr Fix It is correct, this is a viable solution as a Roon Server but it is “below the low end” of the performance spectrum recommended.
I have measured one of these and it works just fine but can take some time to build the library.
(And, an SSD is crucial!)

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.