Roon not loading

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini 2011 with SSD, 8gb, Intel 2.3 i5

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Arris Surfboard 3.1, Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Externally connected drive

Roon is trying to “add music to the library” but is stuck, the count doesn’t move and seems to be causing the entire app to hang. I recently changed my file structure but the computer has been on continuously and the app should have caught up.

Hello @Lance_Goler,

If you haven’t already, I would start by rebooting your Mac mini.

What happens if you:

A) Disable the storage location that Roon is trying to parse.
B) Attempt to import a single album/folder as a storage location.

-John

A 2011 Mac mini is not going to deal well with a large library…how many tracks or albums does it indicate or if you know do you have? It might take many days depending on big your library is.

@john thank you. I will try this but do know that under Storage it shows all tracks have been imported, it is in Library–>Analyze where it seems to be hanging up. When I left this morning it was at 24 tracks of 30K analyzed and now 5 hours later it has gone only to 64.

fyi, I did reboot and also stopped the analysis for volume leveling and now Roon seems to be working somewhat back to how it was before. @wizardofoz I don’t think you are right in saying my MacMini can’t handle a large library. It has an i5 chip and with an 8gb SSD. It should be as good as a new NUC i5 as long as I’m not running other programs, which I’m not.

Ive run Roon an many lower end systems just to see what the experience is like…I have 300K tracks…impossible on a 2010 MM even with 8GB and SSD…2014 MM 8GB and SSD took many days to complete analysis.

If you don’t want the greatest Roon experience then by all means run lean on CPU - it wont bother me.

Feel free to read up here…many have been down this road.

@wizardofoz I’d rather put my head in a pile of bees then read that thread.

Well as Roon improves on features the baseline minimum requirements are only going to be getting higher…if you are happy running below this recommendation its your choice, but if you want to complain to support that things are slow on that platform then it’s likely you will be told to try a better performing system and see if that improves things

Now seeing as you dont appear to want to take well meaning suggestions I’m going to leave you with this link to ponder your situation and consider the Roon recommended setup for a Roon Core system

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

Hi @Lance_Goler,

I would suggest trying to move a couple dozen albums to the SSD and verify if they import faster, this does seem like some kind of hardware limitation with the external drive.

Also, I should note that your Mac Mini doesn’t meet our Minimum Requirements, we require an Ivy Bridge processor and it would appear that the Mac Mini has a Sandy Bridge.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.