Roon not playing through meridian 218

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core machine is a Mac Mini 2014 running os 10.10.15 Yosemite

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

BT Hub 5 with fibre connection, ethernet connection to time capsule then ethernet connection to 218

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mac Mini ethernet to TP link to Time Capsule, 218 connected Ethernet to Time Capsule

Description Of Issue
roon plays from Mac Mini to other speakers in other rooms but when i connect and try to play through 218 to livingroom speakers it sometimes starts then stops and sits at 0:00 also sometimes the 218 drops the audio zone and then comes back but when you try and play again it does the same. i saw a solution in a previous post from Jan 19 from a KAB and it talked about Jumbo Frames, but didnt go through the solution,and how to solve. could someone help its driving me potty.

Hi @Craig_Brannan,

Welcome to the forum!

Jumbo Frames refers to when using Managed Switches, is the TP-link switch you have a managed one or an un-managed one? Can you provide the model for it?

You should also be aware that we have often seen poor performance from Apple Networking Gear, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide. I’m not saying this is definitely the issue just yet, but something that you should be aware of as we progress in troubleshooting.

What happens if you plug both the Core and the 218 directly into the router, bypassing the switch? Does the system remain stable?

Hi Noris,
thank you for getting back to me, here are some of the answers to the points you made.

the TP link isnt a switch it is a 600mbps powerline kit for ethernet through mains (i was advised this was ok on the install from the hifi store).
and lastly re the core is upstairs and through the TP-link powerline kit it connects to the time capsule and the 218 goes direct into the time capsule because both are in the same room.
(if i connect both into the bt hub i lose the 218 from the network, it only seems to show up when it is connected to the time capsule. this also baffled the hifi store installer).
i hope this makes sense.

thank you again for your help so far.

Craig

Hi @Craig_Brannan,

Powerline kits are also a source of common networking issues with Roon, also mentioned in our network best practices. Sometimes powerline adapters work as expected, sometimes they do not, but from reports I’ve seen it’s more in the latter category.

It sounds like the router might have a multicast issue if you connected both Core and Meridian to router and it didn’t show up. Did you reboot the Core + Meridian after connecting both to the BT Hub?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.