Roon not playing when application is first launched

Thanks for the update after performing the suggested test, @Stephen_Kimmel. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account again to get a fresh set of logs over to our techs for analysis. In light of this, may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

Step #1 - Re-enable previously used “RAATServer” folder:

• As it stands you should have two “RAATServer” folders in the same directory as your “Roon” folder.

i.e “RAATServer” (folder) and “RAATServer_Old” (folder)

• Without the application running please perform the following:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Click in the address area to the right of the text (to make it active like typing in a web browser) and type %localappdata%.
    • Once in the “localappdata” directory locate the mentioned “RAATServer” folders from above (“RAATServer” and “RAATServer_Old”).
    • Please delete the new “RAATServer” folder and re-name “RAATServer_Old” back to just “RAAT"Server”.
  • Once the previously used “RAATServer” folder is back in place, please move on to the next step.

Step #2 - Reproduce the issue and provide timestamps:

• Please reproduce the following issue as well as providing the mentioned time stamps:

• ISSUE: “Roon often won’t play when I first start, even if I wait a few minutes. If I go into Device Settings and save settings (even though I made no changes), then it works fine.”
    • TIME STAMP #1: “Roon often won’t play when I first start, even if I wait a few minutes.”
    • TIME STAMP #2: “If I go into Device Settings and save settings (even though I made no changes), then it works fine.”
  • Once I have the information mentioned above, I will re-enable diagnostics on your account :microscope:

Many thanks!
-Eric

Thanks Eric. Done!

Time stamp #1: Reproduced error 1 at 8:56 PM EST.
Time stamp #2: 8:57 PM EST

Great! Thanks @Stephen_Kimmel!

As mentioned in my previous, now that I have the requested time frames I will be enabling diagnostics on your account. Once your core machine comes back online the diagnostics report should be automatically uploaded to our servers :microscope:

I will confirm that it has been received and then pass over to our techs ASAP for evaluation.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric, just checking in to see if there’s been any progress on this problem? Thanks.

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ----- Thank you for touching base with me and more importantly, thank you for your patience here. My apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, I had a chance to touch base with our techs this morning regarding the behavior you are experiencing when the application is first launched. As per our discussion, the team has asked if you would kindly verify/try the following:

Further Data Gathering:

• In regard to this issue, every time you launch the application the error occurs, correct? You never experience any change in behavior, even if the core machine has been rebooted?

Troubleshooting Test:

Please perform the following 3 times…

• Please make sure the application is not running on the Win7 machine. If you have Roon set to “autostart” please temporarily disable this function.

• Plug the Manhattan in and power up the unit.

• Wait a minute and start the application up.

• Are you unable to start playback at launch?

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Thanks Eric. I did these tests:

• It seems like after I reboot my core machine, the problem doesn’t occur the first time I open Roon, but does if I close and open again.

• I unplugged and then plugged in Manhattan, then started Roon and Roon ran correctly the first time. However, on the next 2 tries (unplugging then plugging in Manhattan) the problem recurred.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for touching base with me @Stephen_Kimmel, the update is very appreciated.

Just to make sure I am understanding the particulars of these test runs, in all 3 cases the Manhattan was up and running before Roon, correct?

-Eric

Correct. Seems like right after a machine reboot, everything works fine. And after a single restart of Manhattan (with Roon not running) it works. But the next time I try (Roon not running and restart Manhattan) the problem recurs.

Thanks you for verifying that information for me @Stephen_Kimmel, the insight is appreciated!

To bring you up to speed. I believe (still waiting on confirmation) that we have one of these DACs in our QA lab and will be scheduling some testing with our tech team to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house. Once I find out if we have access to the unit I will follow up with and send my ticket in for testing. I appreciate your understanding, and patience, while we look into this issue.

All the best to you and your family in the new year!
-Eric

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for you patience here while I have been coordinating with our tech team to setup up testing in our QA lab here.

So we do have some Mytek equipment in house that we can use to try and replicate this behavior you are reporting. The team gave it a go already this afternoon just to see if we could reproduce right away with a similar setup and unfortunately, they could not :face_with_head_bandage: In light of this the team would like me to gather another diagnostics report but would like you to please reproduce/note the following time frames:

TEST EXERCISE #1:

"Seems like right after a machine reboot, everything works fine. "

• Reproduce the issue (i.e Roon not playing on first launch)

• Timestamp: Note the time when the error occurs.

• Timestamp: Reboot the machine and note the time when the you are able to playback on first launch.

TEST EXERCISE #2:

“And after a single restart of Manhattan (with Roon not running) it works.”

• Timestamp: Close the application, restart the DAC, and re-launch the application as you should now be able to start playback successfully based on the above.

TEST EXERCISE #3:

“But the next time I try (Roon not running and restart Manhattan) the problem recurs.”

• Timestamp: Close the application, restart the DAC, and re-launch the application as you should now be able to start playback successfully based on the above.

• Timestamp: Repeat the work around (i.e Roon not running and restart Manhattan) and note when it fails again despite trying the “fix”.

Many thanks!
-Eric

OK, ran the tests. Here are the results, embedded within each test question:

TEST EXERCISE #1:
"Seems like right after a machine reboot, everything works fine. "
o Timestamp: Note the time when the error occurs.
 Jan 9th EST: 8:21 PM
o Timestamp: Reboot the machine and note the time when the you are able to playback on first launch.
 Jan 9th EST: 8:31 PM
TEST EXERCISE #2:
“And after a single restart of Manhattan (with Roon not running) it works.”
 Jan 10th EST: 8:06 PM
o Timestamp: Close the application, restart the DAC, and re-launch the application as you should now be able to start playback successfully based on the above.
 Jan 10th EST: 8:10 PM, attempt unsuccessful, still not playing after restart DAC this time.
 Jan 10th EST: 8:46 PM, retried restarting DAC and now it plays successfully.
TEST EXERCISE #3:
“But the next time I try (Roon not running and restart Manhattan) the problem recurs.”
 Jan 10th EST: 8:48 PM
o Timestamp: Close the application, restart the DAC, and re-launch the application as you should now be able to start playback successfully based on the above.
 Jan 10th EST: 8:50 PM – still not working.
 Jan 10th EST: 8:51 PM – tried again (restarted DAC) and now it works
o Timestamp: Repeat the work around (i.e Roon not running and restart Manhattan) and note when it fails again despite trying the “fix”.
 Jan 10th EST: 8:52 PM – not working before restarting DAC
 Jan 10th EST: 8:54 PM – worked after restarting DAC

Excellent work @Stephen_Kimmel, can’t thank you enough for this feedback. The diligence and attention to detail is very appreciated!

I have re-enabled diagnostics on your account and when the application is active on the core machine we should receive the new report. I will keep any eye out on our servers and will follow up to confirm that it has been arrived!

Again, many thanks!
-Eric