Roon not recognizing Cocktail x 45

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacMini Catalina 10.15.1 Roon 1.6 Build 475

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Cocktail x45, connecting with ethernet

Description Of Problem
I’m sorry if I’m not giving you enough detail. I think and hope you have enough to address my problem.

I upgraded to Catalina last night. This morning, my Mac can’t identify the Cocktail x 45. I’ve looked at Roon’s upgrade notes, and as far as I can tell, I have the most recent version of Roon.

The notes speak of going to Settings and talk about something to do with Media Keys, but that doesn’t take me to anywhere I recognize on my Mac, so I have no idea what that’s about.

Can you give me step-by-step instructions to make sure Roon can find the files stored on my Cocktail x 45 please?

Hints and suggestions won’t help me; I’m not someone who knows very much about computers. Thank you.

The reference Media Keys is referring to the play, pause, volume keys on your Mac keyboard. This shouldn’t cause your problem.

Before doing anything else have you restarted everything including the X45?

Next, open System Preferences and then click on the Security and Privacy icon. Now click on the Privacy tab and then the padlock in the bottom left of the window. You’ll be prompted for your password. You’'l now be able to make changes in the right-hand window titled “Allow the apps below to control your computer.” Make sure the entry for Roon has a check mark against it. Now click the padlock and close the window.

If this doesn’t help let us know.

Finally, do you have a firewall running?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. No firewall. I had restarted both already, but did so again before writing.

I did what you suggested, and indeed Roon was not checked. It is now checked, but it still can’t find anything. The startup runs as normal, but then comes up with the “It looks like one of your storage locations could be offline. Go to storage settings and make sure everything is connected.” When I go to “Manage settings,” both Cocktail locations – the local storage and Music DB locations – are marked “This drive is not available.” Were I more brave, I would try the “Add Folder” option, but all things considered, I think it’s safer to wait until I hear from you again.

Thanks for your help. I really love Roon and am looking forward to upgrading to the life subscription once I get this issue sorted…It’s scary to lose access to around 4,000 files!

Ian

1 Like

When you turned everything off, did you also turn off the storage device?? If so, and things still aren’t working, from experience, this sometimes helps. Not only turn off everything, but disconnect everything, wait a few minutes, reconnect it all, then reboot everything. I have only had to go this route once, but that once fixed things nothing else would.

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

I’m happy to do that but don’t know how to take a screenshot. I said I was hopeless at this! I have to go out for half an hour or so, but I’ll try to research it and send you something when I get back. If you have canned instructions on how to take a screenshot, those would be gratefully received! In answer to Neil’s question, I did reboot the storage device as well. I didn’t unplug them, and can do that now before I leave.

No problem. From Roon press ⌘, (command-comma) and then click on Storage.

Now press ⌘⇧4 (command-shift-4) then press space and (enter) and the image will be saved.

Upload this to the forum using the Upload button in the post toolbar.

Thanks Martin. Will do that right now. The unplug/replug test didn’t work, sadly, but thanks for the suggestion Neil.

Here it is.

Thanks for this, Ian. The good news is that it’s clear why Roon can’t see your music files. We now need to understand what’s going on. But first I need to do a little reading up on the cocktailAudio X45.

In the meantime, please confirm that your music is stored on the cocktailAudio X45. I’d also like you to see if you can access the music files directly from your Mac. To do this, open Finder and click on Go > Network in the menu bar. Is there an entry for “x45”? What happens when you click on this?

Hi Martin,

Yes, the music is stored directly on the Cocktail. But no, the Mac doesn’t seem to see the Cocktail when i go to Inder/Network The only thing that’s there is my MacBook Pro. When i open that up, it sees a file for the x45, but the music isn’t stored on there MacBook, so I’m guessing that isn’t relevant.

Thanks. It looks like the X45 is isn’t connected to the network or the Samba server isn’t running.

Just one more check for you to do. With the X45 powered on, can you confirm that the Ethernet cable is firmly connected to the “Giga Fast Ethernet” socket and that the LED lights are on and/ or flashing.

Also, if you feel confident, please follow section 4-5-1 of the user manual and check that Samba Server (RUN) in on (the default is off.) I think this will need to be on for Roon to work.

Well, that was fun. The user manual isn’t very forthcoming about working ones way through the menus! Yes, the Ethernet cable is secure. The right LED light (as I look t it from the front and above) is solid green, and the left light is blinking amber. The Samba server (interesting name) is, and was, on.

Okay, I think I understand the issue. Unfortunately, the steps to remedy this require the command line.

To do this, type the following in Spotlight Search (click magnifying glass in the taskbar):

terminal

When the terminal opens paste the following lines:

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
and press Enter
echo "port445=both" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
and press Enter

Use ⌘c to copy the text and ⌘v to paste.
You may need to enter your password.

After doing this type exit and restart the Mac Mini.

My assumption is that the X45 uses Samba version 1.0 and will not work with Catalina because this has disable NetBIOS which is used for browsing and connecting to shares.

If this resolves the problem, you’ll need to repeat this with your MacBook.

Yikes! Okay. Here goes.

No luck. I looked in the Finder and it still isn’t seeing the x 45. Should I try that approach again? I don’t feel it went as smoothly as it should have done – operator error on my part.

Also, should I reboot the x 45?

Give that a go too.

Nope. No luck. I put the first line in, it asked for my password. I put that in and pasted the second line in, typed exit, and then switched everything out and unplugged both devices. Waited a couple of minutes, plugged everything back in and switched on, but Roon still can’t find the x 45 and the Mac Mini still doesn’t see the x 45 when I look in the Finder. Exactly as it was before the patch, in fact. It’s frustrating in the extreme: they’re sitting less than an inch away from each other and spoke to each other perfectly on Friday before I installed Catalina.

So. I have another Mac Mini doing other things that isn’t, I think, switched over to Catalina yet (I say I think because I don’t believe I have the automatic update switched on. I’m sure I haven’t done the conversion myself). Should I consider switching out the one for the other, and can I transfer the Roon core from one to the other? I’d move the Roon Core to my MacBook, but it has Catalina for sure.

Okay. I’ve read a little more about Catalina and Samba, so have another idea. Again with nsmb.conf.

`echo “signing_required=no” | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
and press Enter

This assumes the X45 doesn’t support packet signing and Catalina is therefore blocking the connection. Worth a try. All the changes to nsmb.conf are reversible.

I’m heading to bed now, so looping in @support who may be able to pick this up for you in the meantime.

You also said you have another Mac Mini that’s not running Catalina. I think it would be an idea loading Roon on this. But first make sure auto updates are disabled. :slight_smile: