Roon not recognizing Cocktail x 45

Hi Martin,

Yes. Mojave. Too happy to type or think straight.

I’m not sure I agree. Things were fine, Catalina came in, and things weren’t fine. Mojave came back and things were fine again. It might not be a Roon-only problem, and it was certainly caused by Catalina, but the relationship between Roon and Catalina seems to me – based on that chain of events – to be the issue. I wouldn’t take my inability to access the Cocktail using another machine on the network as evidence of anything other than my lack of technical prowess. Occam’s razor would suggest that my incompetence is the simplest explanation for that.

In any case, no, I haven’t contacted Cocktail. I agree that they might not have fully understood the problem, but I was relatively sure that my renewed explanation wouldn’t further enlighten them. Since this problem appears to be fixed, I chose to let sleeping Cocktails lie.

Ian

It might not be a Roon-only problem, and it was certainly caused by Catalina, but the relationship between Roon and Catalina seems to me – based on that chain of events – to be the issue.

Whilst there were issues with Roon and Catalina these were resolved and IIRC the primary issue only affected local volumes not Samba shares, so I think the issues relates to Catalina and the X45 not Roon for the reasons mentioned before.

Maybe your best option would be to downgrade from MacOS Catalina to Majove. Of course, to do this is a bit of a faff unless you have a Time Machine backup of Majove. You’ll need to copy any changed files to an external drive or cloud storage first as these won’t be on the backup.

Anyway, enjoy the music!

Ah, if only I could. Roon is now talking to the Cocktail (or vice versa), but I haven’t been able to recreate the audio settings I had with the previous setup, so the sound coming out of the system isn’t good. But that’s a separate problem, and I doubt it’s appropriate to try to piggyback this new issue onto this discussion. Roon can control the Cocktail, and the signal is getting through to the audio system, so there must be a solution as long as I keep looking for it. Thanks again for all your help.

You’re very welcome, Ian.

Hi @anon21250924,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved by reverting back to Mojave on the Roon Core PC. It is very strange that both PCs were unable to access the Cocktail share outside of Roon, so I too think this interaction was between the system itself and your X45.

In either case, I’m glad to hear that the issue is resolved, just as a word of caution - I would suggest keeping regular Backups of your Roon database. You mentioned that you were having issues recreating the audio settings, these should be included in Roon backups, so I would keep a few in a safe spot.

If you have any other issues do feel free to reach out again, hope you have a continued enjoyable Roon experience!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.