Roon not seeing NAS when connected to iMac

Maybe Audirvana – because it is Apple centric software – supports AFP for network storage access. Roon does not. Roon requires the more widely adopted and superior SMB for network storage access.

AJ

1 Like

Never thought of that? So I’ve my music was a normal storage device and not a NAS would ROON then see it?

Yes, but why give up on the NAS?

Just get with the program and put the NAS on the network. NAS = Network Attached Storage. It is not intended to be connected to a computer Ethernet port like some USB HDD.

AJ

I don’t want too. However not sure I even needed it to begin with. My system has always been a closed system. No one else uses it accesses the NAS. Secondly when it is hooked up via the NAS connected to the via modem/router I then have to play music via WiFi due to the modem/router being up stairs so I have to have the NAS up there and play via WiFi

OK, have a good life.

@Artez_Eugene - Are you saying you don’t want to use the NAS as a network share and would rather just have something always connected to your iMac? An external USB hard drive would work well for those purposes and they’re pretty cheap nowadays.

If you still want to use the NAS for it’s intended usage (as a Network Accessed Storage device) then connecting it via the Router and setting it as a reserved IP is the way to go. Once you set it as a reserved IP and provided you don’t switch routers, the NAS will always remain saved to that IP address, this is the core principal of address reservation. You might have to do one rescan the first time around but afterwards it should be smooth sailing.

Either way, I have left the instructions above on how to accomplish address reservation if you decide to use the NAS and if you want to switch over to an external HDD, that follows a similar process of adding it to Roon Settings -> Storage, just make sure to follow these instructions if you want to move your media files over and preserve your edits and this guide also provides more useful details. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Yes I’ve been looking for a external hard drive large enough 12TB to15TB the run between $500.00 and $800 dollars. :slightly_frowning_face: I’ve been told that hooking my NAS to my home network and them playing files via WiFi isn’t good? And that the NAS and MAC both should be connected via hardwire and that I’m loosing a lot of sound playing via WiFi? New to this type of front end and just trying to get it right or the best set up

@Artez_Eugene - Yes, having everything connected via Ethernet is preferred but if WiFi is your only option here, I would give it a try as it won’t cost you anything to see what the performance is like.

If it falls short of your expectations then switching over to an external hard drive would be the way to go, but as I said, I wouldn’t completely dismiss the NAS without verifying the behavior first.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I really do like the NAS just hate my internet provider!

Got the NAS hooked back up to my router that resides in my family room and managed to get the entire library resynced with the Roon amp that resides on my IMac which resides in the basement with my stereo which means I play wirelessly or via WIFI so far the IP address has managed not to change in the last 48hrs. Spectrum is sending a supervisor tech out to the house to try and isolate the poor internet connection after this I’ll try and set up the reserved IP address and hopefully find a to some how get the computer and NAS connected via wired set up.
On another note curious about the new Roon Nucleus and if would be superior to my IMac running the Roon software?

Hello @Artez_Eugene,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here and glad to hear that the IP address has remained the same.

Having a Nucleus would help a bit since a Nucleus is a dedicated device for running Roon and would not contain other applications that potentially take up CPU resources like your iMac.

It would be best to discuss the benefits with a Nucleus dealer in your area as they can outline the advantages based on your current setup and walk your though any other questions you may have.

Thanks,
Noris