Roon not starting - just get the Mac beach ball spinning

@support,

I have been using Roon for the past two months with no problem. Yesterday my Roon seems to have overwhelmed my computer and will not work.

Roon was playing music while I was not in the room. I heard the music stop and my laptop display had gone to “sleep”. However, my laptop fan was working very hard indicating that my laptop was also working very hard. When I attempted the “wake” my display all I received was the Mac spinning beach ball.

I made several attempts to restart my computer and restart Roon but every time I attempt to run Roon my computer behaves the same - heat, fan & spinning beach ball. I disconnected my DAC - no change. I disconnected my music library and Roon starts up normally - but there’s no music to play.

My system is as follows:

MacBook Pro with 10G - early 2011 - 2.3GHz i5
OS 10.12.2

4TB western Digital MyBook
USB connected to the laptop
I use iTunes to manage the library and Roon to monitor

DragonFly Black DAC

Hi @William_Harkness ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here.

You mention…

“I disconnected my DAC - no change. I disconnected my music library and Roon starts up normally - but there’s no music to play.”

If Roon is able to function without the WD device being accessed for music, have you tried to create a temporary watch folder that is pulling content from your internal storage? If so can Roon successfully access the music without crashing?

Lastly, have you tried working with the 4TB western Digital MyBook with any other device in your home? Can you report if you are seeing the same crashing behavior when it is mounted?

-Eric