Anyone else having any issues starting Roon in windows since the second last remote update? Before that it always opened no issue for me as soon as I clicked it, now it takes about 30 seconds to open, if it opens at all, sometimes I have to click on it twice to get it to open. I have done a full re-install of Roon on my PC and it didn’t fix the issue. Issue is only on PC, running Roon from my iPad still works great.
Windows 10(64) PC i7/16G ram. Remote version 2.0 Build 1148 (64bit)
interesting, I have had Avast for over 10 years, and had it running with Roon without any issues until now. I just disabled Avast as you suggested and ROON started right up! … is there a way to fix this? was it a change in ROON that triggered this issue?
I have extactly the same problem, I have Roon server installed on windows 10 and Avast installed. In the last few days the core was “invisible” for clients. If I disable all Avast protection the core become visible again. After connections I can enable again avast protections and Roon still works. I tried adding exceptions without any luck. I tried to selectively disable single protections since I found that the problem is ransomware protection. Adding Roon server to Ransomware exceptions doesn’t help but only disabling of the ransomware protections. The problem is that I don’t like to have that protection disabled and it’s boring enabling that after connection or maybe I could forget about doing it. It’s strange though that ransomware protection of two different antvirus software (avast and AVG) lead to the same problem